𝐈 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐡𝐞 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐬

Laurie x Reader

Warnings: maybe a Wonka reference.

Author: riodanness on Tumblr!

Word Count:1355

——————————————————

I lay side by side with Jo March, our hands intertwined, staring up at the clouds.

"You're kidding, right?" Jo laughs. "That is definitely not a giraffe. It looks like a flamingo."

I wrinkle my nose. "No way. It looks closer to a melted chocolate bar than a flamingo."

She nudges me and laughs again. "Whatever."

I sigh and close my eyes, my spare fingers playing with the blades of grass we're lying on.

"This is the life," Jo says quietly, as if she can read my thoughts.

"Mhm..." I reply, feeling sleepy and sun sick. We've been out all morning in the hot summer sun, and the effects are finally catching up on me.

"You know what would make today better, though?"

"What?" I'm barely paying attention now, my sleepiness wanting to take over.

"If Laurie was here." Jo says it like it's poetry.

I'm immediately awake. I sit up. "What did you say?"

Jo looks amused. "I said...that today would have been better if Laurie was here with us."

I try to downplay my reaction with a shrug. "Yeah, that would have been nice I suppose."

"Oh, y/n," Jo teases. "Don't try to pretend you aren't head over heels in love with him."

I look at her sharply. "Jo, don't talk about such things."

"It's true, though," Jo insists. "Isn't it?"

I look away. Of course it was true. Laurie Laurence was the one person I could never imagine not having in my life. I needed him like I needed air in my lungs. He was my sunlight, my happiness, my joy and my energy and my smile. He was my everything.

"Maybe it's true," I whisper. "But it's not important. I will never matter to him the way that he matters to me."

Jo is quiet for a while, her eyes narrowed as she stares into the deep blue nothingness of the sky.

I lay beside her, in comfortable silence, as my thoughts drift, as always, back to that boy with the laughing green eyes, unruly but beautiful dark hair, and that smile that fills me with everything I need.

I first met Laurie through the others. I'm lifelong friends with all the Marches, and being an only child, my days tend to be lonely. Marmee has me over as much as humanly possible. Sleepovers, performances, club meetings and dinners, walks and piano lessons, days at the beach, sketching in the garden, dances and dumb adventures. I do it all with those four girls.