Preparations

A week passed, and the Strongnight castle was busy preparing for the games. For Eva, Lucas wasn't joking that the games were coming up. The servants from Callum and Fendus' clans were the ones preparing for the games. Some of the nobles, Fendus and Callum, were preparing for the games.

Eva was also helping prepare for the games and was excited to view them. Lucas told her that even though servants were not allowed to sit with the nobles, they could still view the games in a separate part of the stands. Even though Eva disagreed with how the nobles treated the servants, she knew she was in a different time. Whenever the young woman had the time, she and Lucas would practice their sword fighting.

One night, the two finished their practice. Lucas wiped the sweat from his forehead. "It's enough training for today. Yer getting better with the sword."

"Thanks, you're good yourself. I've heard that more clans are arriving."

"Indeed, Callum received word that four other clans are arriving by daylight. Tomorrow a feast will occur, and the games will begin the day after. Many of our clan members have been training for the games."

"I can imagine; many clan members want to win."

Lucas laugh. "Of course, winning many parts of the games is an honor. A clan member can earn recognition and respect. Clan leaders want the best warriors. Past winners had the honor to become personal guards to the clan leaders, the highest honor."

"Understandable, but who would want to guard Callum? He's an ass."

Lucas let out a chuckle. "Be careful how you speak in front of the other clan leaders. It can put Callum in a very tough position. Callum has been patient, but he will not have his pride destroyed. Even I or Fendus wouldn't be able to protect ye."

Eva merely nodded.

"Evening," said a masculine voice.

Lucas and Eva saw Fendus by the doorway. "Lord Fendus." Lucas did a slight bow.

"I see yer both practicing."

"Yeah, Lucas wanted to practice his sword fighting, and I wanted to help. Well, we both want to help each other. That's what friends are for." 

Lucas stood silent while Fendus walked towards the pair, softly chuckling. "Lucas, I take it that ye will participate in the sword fighting competition?"

"Aye, my Lord."

"As will I. Ye might rest. Tomorrow the other clans will arrive."

Lucas nodded and went on his way, leaving Eva and Fendus alone. The cold air blew, hitting them gently. Fendus saw how her long white hair flowed with the wind and how the moon shined with her image. To him, she looked breathtaking.

"Fendus, did you want to practice?"

He got out of his thoughts. "Nay, ye must be tired from workin' and trainin'. I want to see if ye can join me for a walk?"

"I don't want to intrude. Wouldn't it look bad if you were with a slave?"

"Many are asleep. Don't worry what others think or say. Walk with me."

Eva agreed in the end. She was motioned out of the stables to the outside of the castle, something Callum didn't allow her to do. Eva could try to escape, but Fendus could catch up with her, and she would get lost. Yet, Eva didn't want to run away, especially since she got close to Fendus. The two were quiet as they walked on the path around the castle. "D-Do you always walk at night?"

"Sometimes. I enjoy the peace and quiet. It gets tiring dealing with clan affairs."

"I can't imagine the stress you must feel for being responsible for many people."

"Aye. I was born into this purpose. It can have its privilege, but it also can be a burden."

Eva nodded, but there was something she was curious about. "If I may ask, why aren't you married yet? As clan leader, I imagine you are pressured to marry and have children."

Fendus chuckled. "Aye, but I have not found the woman I want. Many women want power, and I don't want a wench either." 

The young giggled. "Since you will be part of the sword fighting competition, what would you ask for if you won?"

The highlander stopped in his tracks, as did Eva. He looked at her, and she did the same. Fendus got a hold of her hand and then touched her face. The young woman was surprised but did nothing. "Ye are different. Ye refuse to bow to pressures, no matter what it can cost ye. I never met a woman like ye." Then, he lowered his face; his lips touched Eva's.

Eva didn't move but slightly opened her lips. They kissed.