Meeting At the Doorstep

Vernon Dursley had gone to sleep along with his wife, Petunia. But the cat, which he had looked upon suspiciously at, was still there in the neighborhood, in Privet Drive, Surrey, London.Two owls swooped down, perching themselves, on a nearby post box. It was not until midnight, that the tabby cat, sitting on the brick ledge, showed any sign of movement.
        In a corner of the neighbouring street, a man popped silently, as if he appeared by popping from the ground.He was tall, thin and very old, judging by the silver of his hair and beard, which were both long enough to tuck into his belt. He was wearing long robes, a purple cloak which swept the ground and high-heeled, buckled boots. His blue eyes were light, bright and sparkling behind half-moon spectacles and his nose was very long 
and crooked, as though it had been broken at least twice. He was none other than...........................................Albus Dumbledore, the Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.What this man, didn't seem to have realized was that, he had just arrived in a street where everything from his name to his boots was unwelcome. He rummaged through the pockets of his robes, as if he was looking for something.He then found what he had been looking for. He took out a mechanical device ------------------ what seemed to be a silvery ciggarette lighter, as he called it a Put-Outer. He aimed the Put-Outer at one lamp post, and flicked it, as the light escaped out of the lamp into a small glittering bulb light speck on the lighter. He repeated this eleven more times, as he put it back in his robes, finally realizing, that he was being watched.
        "I should have known that you would be here, Professor McGonagall. "said Dumbledore, as he smiled at the tabby cat. The shadow of the tabby cat began to enlarge, as it enlarged to a human's finally revealing a stern looking woman, in emerald green robes, and a bowler's hat.Her dark brown hair was tied into a tight bun.
        "Good evening, Professor Dumbledore.How did you know it was me?"she asked.
        "My dear Professor, I’ve never seen a cat sit so stiffly."answered Dumbledore with a smile.
        "You’d be stiff if you’d been sitting on a brick wall all day,"replied McGonagall in a matter-of-fact tone to Dumbledore, walking briskly beside him."Are the rumors true, Albus?"she asked with concern.
        "I'm afraid so, Professor. The good, and the bad."replied Dumbledore grimly.He popped a Sherbet Lemon into his mouth.
        "What they’re saying,"said McGonagall as she pressed the matter further,"‘is that last night Voldemort turned up in Godric’s Hollow. He went to find the Potters. The rumour is that Lily and James Potter are – are – that they’re – dead."she said as Dumbledore bowed his head. Minerva let out a gasp."Lily and James ... I can’t believe it ... I didn’t want to believe it ... Oh, Albus ..."she gasped as Dumbledore patted her shoulder sympathetically. Professor McGonagall’s voice trembled as she went on. ‘That’s not all.  They’re saying he tried to kill the Potters’ son, Harry. But – he couldn’t. He couldn’t kill that little boy. No one knows why, or how, but they’re saying that when he couldn’t kill Harry Potter, Voldemort’s power somehow broke – and that’s why he’s gone."she said.Dumbledore nodded glumly."After all he’s done ... all the people he’s killed ... he couldn’t kill a little boy? It’s just astounding ... of all the things to stop him ... but how in the name of heaven did Harry survive?"she said.
        "We can only guess,’' said Dumbledore. ‘'We may never know.’'