A Kiss to Your Wrist is Better Than None

Happy new year everyone! Soulmate AU style fic to celebrate :)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Kyle has been looking forward to this day for as long as he can remember. It was near the end of May, on his birthday to be exact. His 18th birthday. He's finally a legal adult in the eyes of the law, and he feels much more free from his parents, even though he's sure his mom will still nag him. He's excited to party with his friends and cause a ruckus throughout town, but most of all, he's excited to find out who his Soulmate is. Well, not exactly. He would find out the first words they would say to him, which would appear on his right wrist. Kyle doesn't know the specifics of how the whole thing works, so he decides to not look at his arm at all until the end of the day. It would serve as the final birthday gift to himself.

As Kyle gets out of bed and goes two steps at a time down the stairs, he feels his phone go off. It's a call from Stan, which he answers as he plops himself at the kitchen table with a smile on his face.

"Hey dude!"

"Kyle! Happy birthday!"

Kyle laughs at the excitement in Stan's voice and thanks him in response.

"I was the first one to greet you, right? I better be, do you know how hard it is to wake up at 9 in the morning?"

Kyle playfully rolls his eyes.

"Yes, Stan, you were the first to greet me. Thank you for sacrificing your precious beauty sleep so you could wish your best friend happy birthday."

He hears Stan laugh at the other end of the line, and mouths a 'thank you' to his mom as she sets down a plate of pancakes in front of him, with celebratory extra whipped cream.

"So," Stan continues, "What are the birthday plans?"

Kyle explains to Stan all he wants to do, which is play video games, shit on Craig's friends, and TP most of South Park while hopefully not getting caught. Stan thinks it's genius, and sounds much more excited about it than Kyle, and it wasn't even his celebration.

"That all sounds so sick dude, I can't wait to do them with you."

Kyle thickly swallows the bite of pancakes in his mouth and suddenly feels a little warm.

"Me too, I'll see you later okay?"

With that, they both hang up. Kyle finishes his breakfast as fast as he can, ruffles Ike's hair when he passes him on the stairs, and prepares himself for one of the best days of his life.

Stan and Kyle meet up at Stark's Pond to wait for Cartman and Kenny to arrive. Stan gives Kyle a bone-crushing hug, which Kyle happily returns, burying his face into Stan's shoulder.

"Holy shit dude, you're so old now."

Kyle lets go of Stan and pulls on his ear.

"Yeah right, you're not that far behind, don't forget!"

Suddenly, they hear two car honks. Turning around, they see Kenny leaping out of his truck with Cartman following behind.

"KYYLLLEE!! I can't believe you're 18 already, happy birthday!"

Cartman seems reluctant to say anything to Kyle at all.

"H-B-D I guess. So you can like, get us wine right?"

Kyle huffs in annoyance at Cartman's idiocy while he accepts Kenny's birthday hug.

"No dumbass, that's 21."

"But Kenny buys that shit all the time!"

"Yeah! Illegally!"

Kenny and Stan laugh at their antics, and then Stan rests his hands on Kyle's shoulders.