You Shine Brightest in October

9k words

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Stan sits down on the cold bleachers, being able to lean back against the chain-link fence since he's seated at the highest point. The cool October air nips on the parts of his skin that aren't covered in three layers of clothing, and the body heat from the crowds made up of his classmates and other kids attending South Park High School doesn't help. He looks out towards the football field as he hears the cheers of everyone around him, their team scoring another touchdown. Stan feels a little disappointed that he couldn't play for the Homecoming game this year, especially because it would have been his last, but he knows that playing with his sprained wrist wouldn't have helped himself nor his team, so the best he can do is watch from the audience. He exhales and watches his breath disappear against the night sky, closing his eyes for a brief moment until he feels a presence sit beside him.

"Dude, it's so weird seeing you here and not out there," Kyle says as he hands Stan a styrofoam cup of hot chocolate that he bought from one of the food stands. Stan smiles back sardonically.

"Oh yeah, please bring more attention to that. It's not like I'm depressed about not being able to play or anything, don't worry about me."

Kyle grins and playfully punches Stan's shoulder. He then leans back against the fence in a similar fashion.

"How's your wrist?"

"Getting better I think, but it sucks trying to write with my left hand."

"Knowing your handwriting, it probably looks equally as shitty anyway."

Kyle laughs as Stan shoves him, almost spilling his drink.

"At least my handwriting doesn't look like a girl's," Stan retaliates.

"Hey, it does not!"

"Dude, it's like, perfect cursive. Both when the letters lean right and left. Only a girl would put that much effort into making it look that nice."

"That is generalizing, Stan. Girls can have shitty handwriting too you know!"

"Yeah like Shelly's."

They both chuckle like idiots as Stan takes a sip from his cup. Kyle wordlessly takes it and drinks from it as well. There's a spell of silence between them for a moment as they watch the game unfold. People yell as the person with the ball gets tackled to the ground, Stan thinks it may have been Clyde since he hears Bebe and Red laughing. He looks up at the sky and is surprised that he's able to see so many stars, especially from the amount of light pollution that the town gives off.

"It's kinda cool though," Kyle starts, causing Stan to look at him. He raises an eyebrow.

"What, Shelly's handwriting? I can assure you it's not."

Kyle snorts. "No idiot, you sitting here."

Stan blinks at him as Kyle continues, "Like I don't know, it's a little exciting. We can't really hang out during games since you play and all, so right now is kinda fun."

Stan smirks as he thinks about it. It is definitely a new experience. He may be sad about not being out there himself, but hanging out with Kyle always makes him feel better.

"Yeah I guess you have a point."

The two bicker and cheer for their team as the night progresses, and Stan quickly gets over the fact that he isn't able to play. A part of Stan wonders why he joined the team at all if he was missing out on times like this.

"So you're going to the dance, right?" Kyle says, causing Stan's mind to stutter a little.

"Ah, I mean, I guess. I'll go if you and the guys do, but don't you usually hate that stuff?"