Chapter 8 Frozen Tracks

"We can't move with all those deers on the line!" Tom yelled. The deers where all over infront of the train. Some, even trying to climb ontop of the cow catcher of the locomotive.   "Maybe we can pull the whistle!" Sora suggested. "Try that!" The girl agreed. Sora left the window, and quickly walked up to the rope.

Choooo CHOOOOOO!"

Tom looked out the window, and not single deer moved. "What?! None of them moved Sora!"

The Conductor was standing there waiting for them, but he decided to take matters into his own hands, and he climbed over the window, and onto the side of the locomotive. "W-What? Where are you going?" Tom asked. But the Conductor didn't answer.

"Come on, let's go with him, he probably knows what to do" Sora said, and followed the Conductor. "S-Sora!" Tom said. Tom looked back at the girl. She shrugged. "Come on, let's go. Maybe he does know."

But Tom was nervous. "I... being on the edge of the locomotive like that? I don't wanna do that-"

"Don't worry, there's guard rails. And we're not moving at the moment" She stuck her hand out for Tom to take. "I won't make you fall, promise." She said. Tom sighed, then nodded. "Ok... let's go." Tom said.

"Are you both coming or what?! The Conductor is at the front of the engine already!" Sora ran back to the cab window. "Ugh, we're coming Sora!" Tom snapped. Tom looked out the window, and put his foot over the window seal, and stepped over onto the platform outside on the locomotive. "Why does this thing even have a platform for?" Tom asked. "You're telling me people walk on this while it's moving?" Tom had fully stepped onto the ledge that led down from then engine's cab, already down to the smoke box. "I believe is used for when they need to make repairs to these steam engines. They have these ledges for them to easily clean and fix the locomotives." Sora said. The girl nodded. "Yeah, that makes sense." She said. Tom sighed. "Yeah I guess it does."

At the front of the engine, at the smoke box. Was the Conductor and the engineer and the fireman. With all the millions of deers all infront of them. "We need to do something about this." Sora said as he walked along the guided platform. Tom and the girl followed him.

"How are we going to clear this? We definitely can't move unless they've cleared the tracks!" The Conductor said.

Sora walked up to him, but then tripped. "AHH!" He yelled as he fell. "Sora!" Tom yelled. Sora tried to grab onto something to prevent himself from falling and he did.

But then he heard a loud scream. Sora didn't even let go off of the thing he was holding, and used it to brace himself back up. So, he pulled whatever he was holding, to be able to get his balance back. Then the scream happened again. Now, Sora was confused, and he looked at what he pulled on. He gasped. "Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry!"

Sora had accidentally pulled onto the fireman's long beard.

But then one of the deers who was right infront of the cow catcher, made a grunt sound, and backed up a little. It was like it didn't like the scream the fireman made. "Um..." Sora said. The Conductor, who was studying the caribou, to see how they where going to let them move, went and pulled on the fireman's beard. Sora gasped, and he wasn't expecting that to happen. The fireman's yelled, caused the caribou to make another grunt, and then all the surrounding caribou backed away from the tracks. "How... H-How did that work?" Sora asked, and then he looked at Tom and the girl. They both shrugged. The Conductor smiled. "Problem solved! All ahead... slow!" He said to the engineer. He nodded, and both him and the fireman went back to the cab. The three kids went to go back aswell, but the Conductor stopped them. "All you three need stay with me, here at the front."