Chapter 11 Runaway Caboose

"W-We're gonna be okay..., This is going to be fine," Tom nervously commented as the loose caboose car was drifting along the tracks, going backward and leaving the train behind them. Sora, despite him being optimistic all the time, didn't see how this was going to be fine at all.

The breakcar hit a device on the rails, and it triggered an incoming switch. "Woah! Maybe not!" Tom gasped, as the car swung left on the switch. Sora, Holly, and the other boy nearly tripped over, from the sudden jerk.

"Is there a break on this thing?!" Holly wheezed. Sora and Tom gasped at the same time. "The emergency brake!" They both said. Sora held onto the door. It was hard to keep his balance, due to the caboose rattling and shuddering, rumbling down the hill at this very fast pace. "Is it out here? I don't see it!" Sora yelled, as tried to keep his stability, out on the patio.

"It might be on the other side!" Tom said. He left Sora and tried to make his way to the other side of the car.

Tom tried to make his way through the car, but it was difficult to walk forward with the car rocketing down the track lines the opposite way. It felt like he was losing his balance and almost fell over many times. "Come on! Get to it!" He yelled to himself.

The caboose was set up differently than the rest of the cars. He was looking for the break cord. But he didn't see it.

"Guys! I can't find it! There's no break! I can't find the break!" He yelled. He scanned the upper walls of the interior of the caboose, and there was no cord visible.

"Try the outside!" Sora yelled.

"Be careful Tom!" Holly yelled.

Tom grabbed onto one of the coach seats, and pulled himself across the car, up to the door that once connected to the rest of the train.

He could see that, put the door, the rest of the "North Pole" was flying by, with them going backward. He finally made it to the door. He held onto the hinge of the door frame and poked his head out. He looked to his left, then his right.

On the right side, there was a round steering wheel-looking device. "All there is a wheel!" Tom yelled, looking back at his friends on the other end.

"A wheel? Try and turn it!" The other boy said.

Tom looked back at it. "Here goes nothing," He quickly made haste, reached over, grabbed it, and pulled it down. The wheel spun-

SCREECHHHH

The car vibrated and jerked for a moment. Tom gasped. It was the break. But, it needed more turns. "Hurry up Tom!" Sora yelled. Tom determinedly, tried to turn the wheel, but it was very hard to do from the position he was in.

Then, they were engulfed in darkness.

The runaway car entered a dark tunnel. And all that did, was made it harder for Tom to see the break.

He managed to make another stroke-

SCREEECCCHHHH

The sparks from underneath the caboose lit up the tunnel in an orange and red hue. "Tom we are in a tunnel!" Holly screamed. "You think I don't know that!" Tom yelled back. Tom finally got a foothold and managed to continuously turn the brake wheel.

The wheel wasn't exactly light. It required a lot of force to turn. And still, the position Tom was in, didn't exactly make it easier.

SCREEECCCHH

Went to the metal wheels, rubbing on the metal rails.

They were slowing down a little bit-

But then:

"We're going to crash!" Tom heard Holly yell out.

"WAIT... WH-" Before Tom could finish his outburst, he felt the car make a violent shake, and it bounced, he grabbed onto the door frame, to prevent himself from falling out of the car. Everyone else had seen the end of the line coming up, and ran back into the car. Once they hit, they all fell to the floor.

Sora got up and tried to help Holly, but the car was still shaking, and he nearly fell over.

"W-Why are we spinning?" Tom asked.

The car felt like they where spinning around and around, the loose metal joints, could be heard shaking in the car.

They all went to the outside, patio,

And they got their answer.

They were on a turn table.

It slowly came to a stop.

It looked as of the car shook the table out of place, and put it in a spin cycle. There was a buffer at the end of the table. They must have bounced into that.

"Holy... shoot..." Sora said as he looked at the surroundings. "Where are we?" Tom asked. There were tracks, that lead into tunnels in the distance. No one had any idea of where they led to. "How are we going to get back?" Tom asked.

But then, Holly shushed him. "Do you hear that?" She asked.

"Hear what?" Tom looked at her. "The music that's playing?" There was Christmas music playing, seeming to be coming from speakers. "No..." Holly said. "A Sligh bell! Don't you hear it!?"

"I think I heard it," Sora said. "W-What? What are you two talking about?" Tom said. "It's coming from that tunnel!"

Holly pointed to one of the tunnels the track lines went into.

She quickly ran over to it, and Sora followed her.

"Hey! W-Wha... guys wait up! Geez!" Tom yelled, and both he and the other boy ran after them. He caught up. "Geez, can't you just... W-What..." Tom had to shut up at what he saw. There was a bridge, to the tunnel.

All of the tunnels around the round turntable had bridges. But from the area they were in, they didn't see the danger of what it was. It seemed like there was no ballast. Or wooden planks. It was just the two rails over what seemed to be an endless abyss.

"That's the way we should go!" Holly said. "I'm telling you, I heard some bells, there's probably someone who can help us," Then, before anyone could say anything. She started to put one foot on the skinny slippery rail line and started to slowly walk on it like someone at a circus walking on a right rope.

"What?! ARE YOU INSANE?!" Tom screamed. "I AM NOT DOING THAT!"

"Yeah! There has to be a safer way!" Sora said.