THE DATE

I checked myself once more in the mirror before exiting my room and closing the door

I checked myself once more in the mirror before exiting my room and closing the door. My white T-shirt seemed a bit loose, but I was feeling fine with it. It was a new one I bought almost a month back but never got a chance to wear it out.
I sighed.

I was more comfortable in my T-shirts and jeans rather than my usual shirts and pants, moreover, I didn't want to look too formal on a movie date. I walked to the kitchen and filled Alex's bowl with his favorite food as I didn't want him to starve while I was away.

"Hey, kiddo.." I called out for him .The word 'kiddo' was enough to distract Alex from anything he was doing. His small furry body appeared behind the kitchen door within seconds.
"Hey, daddy is going out. Be a good boy, don't break anything, ok?" I said, patting his head.
He barked back in response. I smiled and glanced at my watch. It was already 5:00.Hoping I wouldn't be late, I grabbed my car key and exited the house.

I hummed along as I drove. Being a weekend, the shops and sidewalks were filled with people. Even the buses were packed with people. I wondered if the theatre would be crowded as well. I had managed to book two seats for us.

I was so excited for the day that I couldn't wait for the clock to strike 5. I didn't know why, but I was feeling a strange thing for her. I still remembered the electric sparks I felt when I kissed her hands back then .Every time our eyes locked, I wanted to stare at them more. Her hazel eyes were not something I could look away from. Something was pulling me towards her, something warm and soft ... Do I like her??Of course not!! She is just an old classmate of mine.
I shook my head to avoid unnecessary thoughts.

'What the hell is wrong with me.?'

I parked my car near the roadside, where Elaine had asked me to wait and got out of the car. I took out my phone and dialed her number.

"Hi"

"Hey"

"I am here ,near the best stop."

"Oh,I will be there in a sec"

"Ok..".

"What's your car color?"

"Black SUV, hurry up or we will be late"

"Okok,I see you"
"Where?"

She ended the call and I looked around for her.
"Hey!!"

I turned left and spotted Elaina walking towards me. She was wearing a sleeveless pastel green frock which hardly reached her knees with a matching pair of white sneakers. If I hadn't known her beforehand ,I would have taken her for a high schooler who was spending her day out with her friends. Her long brown hair was pleated and pulled to one side.

I made sure that I didn't drop my jaw.
"Hi" I greeted her back.
"Sorry, I am a bit late"
"It's ok", I said and our eyes met for a while.
I tried to make myself believe that I didn't feel any butterflies in my stomach pit.
"Let's go now or we will be late". I walked over to the right side and opened the car door for her.
"I can open the door, you know?" She said while getting in and her shoulder brushed against my hand. I again decided to ignore that feeling in my stomach.
"I was just being a gentleman, you know..?"
I said, smirking as I sat on the driver's seat.
She chuckled, looking in my direction.
*******************
" Could you please pull the window down?"
She asked, breaking the silence that was almost suffocating me in an awkward way.
"Of course! Don't you like the AC?" I asked, pressing the button to roll the window down.
"Thank you, I do but I am more comfortable when the wind hits my face" She said, putting her hand out.
I suppressed a smile but she caught me smirking.
" Why are you laughing?" Do I look funny??"
She asked in the most innocent way.
" Simply...No, you look pretty today"