A Ghost King and his nightmares

YEAH HE DOESNT NEED TO SLEEP AND NOR DOES XIE LIAN AFTER LOSING THE CURSED SHACKLES. BUT THEY STILL SLEEP ANYWAY. WHAT IF HUA CHENG SUDDENLY HAS A NIGHTMARE THAT JUST TOUCHES AT HIS INSECURITIES AND FEARS?

It's the late night hours, and both Hua Cheng and Xie Lian were pressed together with legs entangled around the others. Xie Lian's head pressed to his husband's chest taking in the cool feeling of the surface of his exposed skin. It often brought him a sense of comfort. For the Ghost King, his source of comfort was just to have his God at his side. His arms around him, protecting him, loving him, and worshipping him. He only needed him, and nothing could change that. Their love was strong, and forever long lasting.

As the two laid together, their minds have begun to wander into their dreams. At first, Hua Cheng was in the middle of a familiar dream. A dream he sometimes had if he ever chose to actually sleep. Sometimes he would sleep out of boredom, so it was often that he could be found sitting on his throne with a closed eye. His dream would change drastically, and sometimes they would be dreams that reminded him of why he suffered. Why he chose his path. And why he chose to turn to darkness instead of light from the heavens. It was a rarity for him to feel any kind of sadness or fear, and in most cases he would usually be enraged by what he would see. His anger stemming from the memories of his God being tortured and hurt. Anger towards himself for being so useless to him til the end. Anger that he had allowed his beloved to be left alone for a year, even though he knew that he would return. It was a complicated thing. And in most cases no one would catch him when he wakes up startled or angry. He could even sit before the gambling den and just sleep behind his red curtains, and would wake up with the energy of wishing to murder whoever stepped in his way. On such occasions he would leave on his own without a word, and would return to his manor to just wreck havoc in one of his rooms. It wouldn't cost him much of anything as he was the wealthiest in the ghost realm, so he wouldn't care about the damage that he would do. The only other way to tell if he was completely angered or upset would be to watch the eye of E-Ming that would rest at his side. If it was spinning wildly, and trembling it was angered. If it was genuinely upset it would appear rather terrified, but it wouldn't be fear to bring it to tears just the emotions of his master.

On this night, Hua Cheng is plagued again by the memories of his childhood. The memory of his birth that for some reason he actually managed to remember well. His mother catering to him, and singing him lullabies to put him to sleep. The empty presence of his father who left, and the disappearance of his mother as she passed. He watched it all play out to reach the moment when he would meet his beloved for the first time. His small feet standing at a higher balcony, ready to end himself but stopping to gaze upon a beautiful man that he believed was God himself. But as he slips and falls he prepares for his body to split in pieces upon impact, but is shocked when he feels his body pressed tightly against a broad chest dressed in dazzling robes of color. His eye would look up to a beautiful prince in golden and red jewelry, and a gentle smile on his face. He would hold him tightly until he could land safely to set him down on his legs. Truly enamored with the sight, he would watch his highness whenever he could. And when he became a god he would pray and worship at his temples everyday. This time in his life brought him some forms of comfort. Comfort that he could get from others so easily, as he was deemed a freak because of his appearance. As he watches his memory play, Hua Cheng lifts his hand over his eye patch. For so long he has been insecure about his missing eye, and that feeling has never changed. Whenever he would change his form, he would continue to create a second eye to match the other. It would give him the appearance of a normal young lord. And it gave him a sense of confidence especially around his beloved.

As the scene plays before him of his childish cries of wishing for a meaning to live, he smiles as his God smiles gently and tells him to make him his reason to live. His hand reaching to the flower that he had left behind as an offering, as he smiles pleased with the simple plant. Hua Cheng sighs softly feeling that that smile was now one that had returned since they reunited. The pain that forced his smile to change, was now shoved to the past allowing him to feel happiness again. And it meant everything to him to see that smile.