Parents of Wei Wuxian (Part 10)

An infinite darkness is all he tends to see before he finds himself plunging into a sea of blood. His eyes manage to adjust to the darkness as they begin to see more than what he could comprehend. Faces. Many faces. Young. Old. Men. Women. Children. Animals.

So many victims of death and destruction. And he can see them all surrounding him like an audience, as if they were waiting for a show to start. He can hear the whispers, but he couldn't decipher anything of what they were saying. But he could tell that they were speaking about him. The only thing he can make out within the thousands of words being spoken, is the sound of his name being hissed through the rattling of their bones.

His eyes wander about in a panic as the sounds were growing to be far too much for him. His body trembled, and his heart was pounding. Desperately in his mind, he tries to convince himself to bare it. But he can't find a way to do so. It was too much. This was too much. He was too much.

"A-Ying."

The sound of a jingle drags him from his nightmare as Wei Wuxian's eye flash open to a sight of red and silver. He takes a breath in only to choke on the resentful energy and foul smell protruding from the ground below him. Hua Cheng lifts his hand to rub his back gently as he takes a moment to compose himself.

"A-die...?"

"I'm still here. No worries."

Wei Wuxian sighs lightly and rests his head in his hand.

"A nightmare..."

"More than a nightmare....you're here in this kind of place. What they're doing is trying to consume you. Control you. And take over your body to make them as one of their own. But you bare some heavy resistance already."

"I do...?"

"The dead hears all A-Ying. And you've had interest in controlling resentful energy. When those of the dead hear of this, it makes them curious to see what you could do. Curious to see how you feel in regards to those who have passed. What their stories are, and what they have been through."

Wei Wuxian thinks on it for a moment and remembers how the aquatic demon had reacted to him before. It wasn't consuming him. It was connecting to him. He stares at the ground beneath him.

"Give a listen. The ground is a whole living creature because of the dead that still reside here."

Wei Wuxian carefully lowered his ear to the ground and is shocked to hear movement. The sound of claws digging in the dirt trying to escape. The sounds of people. Beasts. They were all trapped in the very dirt they've contaminated. Not by choice of course.

"I can help you start this journey, but I can't stay long after. I have to go back soon to my domain...."

Wei Wuxian looks up to him.

"Don't give me that look A-Ying. Just be sure to kill Wen Ruohan....and then we will definitely be able to reunite soon..."

"Wen Ruohan..."

"Now that you're older....I'll explain to you...what we have been dealing with. And why our family had to separate...." The tone in his voice shifts to one filled with bitter sorrow. More than anything he wanted to be at the side of his God and his son. But he can't have both. Not until the source was dealt with.

"But you're gonna work while I speak. Resentful energy gets stronger with the most negative emotions when you wield it. That's what also makes it dangerous."

Wei Wuxian stares at him without a hint of fear.

"I can control it."

"You will control it. Not can. Will. It's about your will. If you step out there, and you lose control it will bite you. It will bring you pain and the world is not so kind to one who practices dark magic of any kind. Keep this in mind. You'll be seen like a hero when you step onto the battlefield again, but afterward don't expect high bouts of gratitude or praise from any major clan. You are out of place in this kind of society and they will use it against you. Be cautious. But don't be stupid."