Chapter 15: Letting go

"Hey... baby no don't cry..."

"B-but what happened next?"

"Oh... well, we continued producing music and Jinnie got better. Later on, as the years passed by we left for the states, it was pretty easy considering his sister lived there. He was able to get a better treatment and we could open up our own brand. "

"Now where is he?"

"Now he is here."

Chan took his four year old grandson's hand and placed it on his chest, while a tear rolled down to his cheek.

"Is he hiding in there? I don't think he is very comfortable."

Chan bitterly chuckled

"No baby. Jinnie died, a long time ago... but he's still alive in my heart and in my memories and now yours too. You see... your grandpa believed that as long as someone's memory is kept, they still get to live through words spoken to other people."

"Jinnie was my grandpa?"

"Yes baby... while we were abroad we got the chance to adopt your mum and your uncle."

"So my mum knows about him?"

"Yeah she does. Hyunjin died when she was 22, some years before she gave birth to you."

"His real name is Hyunjin?! He has the same name with me!"

"Yes! Yes, he does!"

"I'm so happy! Now Jinnie grandpa can live through my name!"

The four year old said excited and ran to his mum not far away at the park to share the exciting news.

Hyunjin died. But he died happy. With his family united as he always dreamed about, with his siblings and his friends and most importantly Chan and their children.

He wasn't old, not even in the middle of his fifth decade of life, but he knew that this day would come sooner or later.

In that Monday morning, he knew he wouldn't last long when he felt that nauseous feeling drowning his soul.

His daughter was eating breakfast and his son was ready to leave for work, Chan picking up the plates for him.
He knew, these were the last hours of his beautiful life.

He made his way to kiss his son goodbye.

"Be careful baby, don't drive too fast."

"I'm not a baby anymore!"

"I know... remember I love you so much I'll always do, you'll always be my baby."

"...I love you to mum!"

"Yah! Don't call me mum! Goodbye son, I'm thankful I got to see you grow up so well."

"Well, Miss Drama queen I'm thankful too but I got to go."

"Yeah me too, I'll lose the bus!"

"I love you too baby!"

His daughter ran to his hug.

"Aww I love you too so much!"

"I wish I could see your children soon! I'm so happy you grew up so good. My baby..."

"I'm still young! But... you will, well maybe... someday when find the right human being for me. Bye mr Jinnie-Winnie love you."

She gave him a kiss and ran out the door.

"Me too."

Hyunjin turned around and watched Chan standing behind him a gloom taking over both of them.

"What was that Jinnie?"

"Chan I-"

"No-"

"I'm sorry Chanie... I've tried but-"

They made eye contact and that's when Chan knew. He knew that it would end, he knew that these were the last moments. Tears falling from their eyes.

"No... no, no, no. Please no! Come on let's go-"

"Baby... I don't want to die in a hospital bed with tubes all over me. I chose this way, I know that now there is no way back, I'm tired my body is giving up. I just want you to hold me till my last breath. I want to watch the sunset with you one last time, I want to kiss and hug you one last time. I want to sleep in your arms for one last time... till forever. "

"Okay...Let's go baby, in our backyard. We can have the best day out there."

And so they did...
Chan was holding him for hours on end.
They talked and looked through their memories, they promised to meet again, they shared i love yous a hundred times.

Chan promised to keep his memory alive. They informed their friends and Hyunjin's siblings that it was going to end soon and bid goodbye through the phone.

Chan held him in his arms till the sunset gave itself away to the bright moon and stars.

'I love you Chanie, thank you for everything. I'm really tired. I'm going to sleep now. '

'Sleep baby... sleep and let your dreams sent you away. You did a good job love. I love you too. You did so well, I'm proud of you baby. Thank you for existing, it's time for you to finally be free. Let go of us... let go of the pain... only keep our happy memories. '

And so did Hyunjin.
For him,
at the end... letting go was sweet.

Chan left his tears fall as he felt the body beside him get more and more cold, not a sign of life upon it.

Later that night their children came back, and went to accompany their parents on that summer Monday night.

Only when the teary face of Chan was seen did they know, their morning goodbye was their last one.

Chan knew... Hyunjin was gone, but happy.

And for one last time Chan whispered,

'You did a good job Jinnie... you lived long. Now you can breath.'

Author:

Thank you for reading:)