chapter one

The beginning;

3rd person

"Mornin' Joan."

The girl turned away from hanging up the freshly cleaned laundry, to face an already smoking Racetrack Higgins.

"Good Morning Race. How's da headline t'day?"

She turned her back to the boy, to hang up some bedding for the boys. It used to be white, but over the years it has turned into a greyish kind of colour.

"De same old Y'know. Dat Strike is gettin' on me nerves."

Joan gave him a light chuckle and nodded, still facing the laundry. She was helping her grandfather out. He's not the youngest, and after her parents passed away, he was her only family. At age 6, she moved from England to America. The family Kloppman has been living in America for over 40 years, but when Joan's father met her mother on his holiday in Manchester, he had no intention of moving back to Manhattan.

"When's ya going ta school? " Race reminded her of her chores besides doing the laundry. With a swift move, Joan placed the last bit of fabric over the thin line and grabbed the wodden basket from the floor.

"I should probably leave. Thank you for reminding me. " Her accent quickly left and she started speaking like they taught her in school. While speaking with the newsies and her grandfather, she had a thick accent, but as soon as she switched to proper English you couldn't hear she was from Manhattan.

"C'mon I's goin' ta walk ya ta school." Race jumped from the rooftop onto the fire escape, which was mostly used as a quiet way out whenever anyone had to leave and everyone else was asleep. Joan handed him the basket, which he placed next to him to help her down from the roof. The fire escape was about 2 feet below the rooftop. Joan sat on the edge of the roof, watching as Race placed his hands on each side of her hip to slowly pull her down. As her feet touched the metal, she stroked her skirt, trying to make it look presentable. "Thank you, Race." She quickly took the empty basket and skipped down the stairs till she reached the boys' room. She crept through the open window and walked past the empty beds. All of them were already out, carrying the banner. Race, on the other hand, forgot his cigarrettes, which was the reason he came back. When he saw the open window, the boy already knew Joan was on the roof, so why not say hello.

"I gotta get me ribbon. Meet me out front? "

Race walked downstairs as an answer, and Joan heard how he and her grandfather started talking. She went inside her small room, which had a bed, two cupboards, and a dirty mirror over a sink. Through a window, the sun's light started shining inside the room. On top of her bed was her red ribbon. She quickly took it and started braiding her hair while walking downstairs.

"2 Dollars Kloppman, ya hearin' me? God damn it, that horse was givin' me too much hope. "

A quiet laugh left her grandfather's lips. Race always told him about his nights at the Sheepshead Racetrack. It seems like he lost money again. Joan stopped in front of the counter, next to Race. Peter Kloppman gave her a smile. "Good morning, darling. Have fun at school. " Joan gave him a quick kiss on the cheek before wrapping the ribbon around the end of her hair and pulling Race outside with her. Skipping down the stairs in front of the lodging house, Joan pulled up her red skirt, trying not to get it dirty. It was a well-known fact at her school that she lived with about 20 boys under one roof. Everyone knew her as the Newsie Girl.

"So ya lost again?" You could hear her smirk. Race, on the other hand, started rolling his eyes. "Ya know doll, it ain't easy bettin' on da right horse when yous gettin' distracted by a pretty goil." She shook her head and continued walking down the road. Race flicked another cigarette in his mouth before putting it on and walking next to her. "So ya met 'er again?" Joan knew about the girl Higgins had been secretly meeting while everyone else was at work. She works at the racetrack as a waitress. Race started talking about her a few weeks ago. "You know it." They continued walking when suddenly a group of boys came up to them. "Joan! Race! Thought y'all bit the dust or somethin'." Blink rested the papes on his shoulder as he came to hug the girl in front of him. "Gotta get da lady ta school." Race tipped his hat towards the group as Joan grinned at Kid Blink, who was looking at Race confused. "Since when do ya care 'bout bein' on time?" He looked at Joan, who gave him a knowing look. "Ya met 'er agoin!" Race gave Joan an annoyed look, and before she was able to take off, he pulled on her ribbon, which landed on the dirty floor. "Oh no, well that was an accident." He hid his accent and gave the girl a smirk. "'C'mon Race, I gotta get ta school." She bent down to grab the red fabric, but before she could pick it up, another hand snatched it away from her.