chapter twenty-three

survivore;

3rd person POV

He got closer again but stopped when he saw Joan leaning against the door with her back. "You's scared of me." She could feel tears coming up but quickly remembered who she was. She was not going to cry because of him again. "How are you here?" Spot looked at her confused. But just hearing her voice gave him the same felling he had back when they were together. "I'm sorry I didn't write, it's been a busy few months."

Joan could feel the heath rise up in her face. Her legs got week making her go down the wooden door, sitting on the floor. "I don't understand." She kept her eyes on the man in front of her. He has changed a lot since the last time she saw him.

"I had to see you'se." He got closer but stopped in front of the woman, seeing how scared she was. "No, you're dead. I saw it in the papes." Spot chuggled a little. "You know they like to be dramatic."

Again she shook her head. "Why didn't you tell us, you're still alive?" Her eyes got watery but she stopped herself from crying. He shouldn't be the reason she cried. "I tried. It took me weeks to come back here." Spot slowly sat down across from her, watching the woman he loved. "I missed you." Her voice broke.

"I missed you too. You're the reason why I'm here. The thought of you helped me survive."

Her hands started shaking a little at the thought. She remembered the day she said her final goodbye at the pier. "What happened?"

"The sea was rough. I still remember all of us praying under deck." Spot's eyes were soft as he started telling Joan how he was here.

"We were on our way back to New York. Pete and I were in his room, planning the next trip, when I told him that I couldn't come with him. It was a good feeling, being at sea. But I couldn't stand being away from you for that long. We just came back from Spain. It was our last stop, when the wind changed, making us change course. Somehow we ended up near Hawaii. That's when the weather took a quick turn. The waves were reaching the deck."

Joan carefully listened to the man, imagining what he has been trough. Being probably the only survivor.

"Pete told us to hide under the deck, but you know me. I stayed with him upper deck, trying to hold the stearing wheel as straight as possible. That's when a large wave hit us. Draggin' everyone on board away. Some landed in the sea. We tried to-.."

He stopped then taking in a deep breath.

"We tried to help them back on the ship but that was when another wave hit us, making the ship turn to its side. I can still hear their screams. And the second everything went quiet. That's when I realized that everyone was gone. They're gone. Everyone died."

Joan moved a little closer to the man, her hand reaching up to his cheek softly stroking over his skin. It was cold, not how she remembered it. But what did she imagine. He has been on sea for years, nearly died. But he was back. For her.

"I'm sorry you went trough so much."

What was she supposed to say now? It wasn't her fault which was why Spot shook his head at her apologize with a soft laugh.

"You don't have to apologize. It happened. But I'm here now."

He was right. Joan had her Spot back. All the pain she felt for the past months, even years. It was blown away in just one moment.

Spot slowly reached his hand up to hers, stroking over it. His touch made a shiver go down her spine.

"Promise me, you won't leave me again."