chapter twenty

shipwreck;

3rd person POV

"Time to get up boys. Papes won't sell themselves." She slammed her cane against the beds, waking everyone up. "C'mon Key, five more minutes." She laughed a little before leaning down to the boy who was just talking. He shut his eyes close again in hope that she would think he was asleep again. "Get up, Grinds." He groaned a little before opening his green eyes and sending her a smile. She replied with a smile as well before making her way towards the other bunks. It was normal for the newsies to sleep in, not wanting to get out of their comfortable blankets. But since Key took care of it, no one has missed a day selling papers. "5 minutes. I'll be waiting out front!" She left the room, not before reaching on her bed to take her hat. Placing the brown thing on her head, she could hear everyone behind her getting ready.

Not much later, everyone was standing outside, walking up to the pressing hall to get their papers. It was early in the morning, not many people were on the streets. But as the group walked down to their destination, windows opened up, letting in the morning air. "Bet I'll sell more than you's." She turned to look to her right, Grinds sending her a grin which she waved off. "Shut it. Everyone knows no one can sell more papes than you do." Proudly, he stuck out his chest and nodded. "Right, forgot 'bout that." And with that they stopped in front of the gates, looking at the headline which was just being put up.

Shipwreck found near Hawaii
no survivors

Everyone went quiet reading the words. It's been a long time since such a tragic headline was put up. Shipwreck. Most likely to be a small fishermen's boat, but you could make a good headline out of it. Maybe say it was a big ship with passengers from Europe on it. The group walked towards the gate, men handing out papers and taking the newsies money. "60 papes." She placed the money in the hand of her favorite seller who gave her a smile and the papes. "Good story." She nodded and walked away for the other ones to get their stuff. They started spreading out, Key staying with Grinds. "Hell, Key, you have to read this." He held the paper in front of her.

The ship filled with goods came from Spain after being away in Europe for over a year. No men of the crew survived. The last known location was the port of Spain. Kents & Gordons send their condolences to the men's family. It is known that 30 men are lost as well as Pete Gordon, the name-giver of the company. Their body's locations remain unknown.

The woman dropped the paper, taking in a deep breath. Pete has died. Spot as-well. Shocked and confused, she turned around making her way to the only place she was able to think about. Her feet started hurting from running the way from Harlem to Brooklyn. She ran down many empty alleys, bumping into people and saying a quiet 'sorry.' As she reached the Bridge, a shiver went down her spine. It's been about a year since she has last been over it. Her mind was blurry as she crossed the Bridge, quickly making her way to the Brooklyn lodge. She soon saw the familiar dock as she slowed down. "Kloppman, what are doin here" A voice made her turn around. A more grown-up Butter stood in front of Spots throne. "Butter." She walked up to him, spitting in her hand just for him to do the same thing. "It's been a long time. How have you been?" She shook her head. "Have you heard?" Butters smile left his face as he placed his hand on her shoulder. Joan, now known as Key, was still trying to catch her breath. "Spots dead." The man's eyes grew big at her words, pulling her into a hug. "How do you know?" She shrugged and placed some of her hair behind her ear. "Read it in the papes." Butter sighed and took a look at the river. Most of the Newsies were outselling their papes. "Came to.." She stopped herself as she felt her heart drop. "Just go through. Everything's still the same." Sending him a quick smile, she pushed herself past him and walked inside the small building. The corridor still looked the same. Dark walls with some doors on each side. She stopped in front of the only one she has ever been inside of. Pulling out the Key, Butter gave her right after Spot left, she unlocked the door.