chapter six

Worry;

Joan POV

I leaned back and looked at the boy underneath me. "What?" He sat up and wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer to him. "Yous heard me." I skipped from one eye to the other one trying to tell if he was being serious or just joking around. But it was hard telling his emotions. Spot Conlon was amazing at hiding what he truly felt. "Is trust Jackey-Boy. The person I really wanna trust is you." I smiled at him, my hand resting on top of his head. "Why don't you?" He pulled me even closer leaving no space between us. "It's hard knowin' who ta trust and who's gonna use it against me and me boys." I shook my head, agreeing with him. This boy was a mystery to me and I had the urge to know everything about him. To know every part of him. I saw a key on a necklace hanging around his neck. My hands slowly went down to it. I started playing around with it.

PSC

My eyes focused on the letters I didn't notice Spot stroking through my hair. He was watching me analyze the key. "Whats PSC?" I let go of the key which hit against his chest. Again he buttoned his chest barley, showing off his tanned skin. "Dat's me old key." I smiled and looked up to his eyes which were already waiting to meet mine. "Patrick Spencer Conlon." Without thinking about it, a laugh escaped my lips. I quickly clapped my hand over my mouth. "Sorry." He chuckled and shook his head. "Don't worry." I got up from his lap and stood on the floor. Spot threw his legs over the edge of the bed watching me. His head rested on his hands. I started unbuttoning my blouse whilst looking at the floor. I could hear Spot moving in his place, shifting. "With 14, Jack and Is got attacked by da Delancey Brothers. Theys been in Brooklyn when we saw 'em." I took off the soft fabric and put my arm in the air, showing Spot the scar under my ribs. "Oscar's gotta knife. Boom, Is got meself a scar for life and no money left." I looked up to see Spot standing up. His fingers softly stroke over the scar, causing a shiver to go down my spine. I carefully watched his movements. "That's why yous didn't want to go ta Brooklyn wit me." I gave him a small smile before pulling up my blouse, buttoning it up again. "Yeh." After putting my top back into my skirt I felt a pair of hands on my cheeks, making me turn my head to face Spot. "Thank you for tellin' me." A warm kiss was placed on my forehead. "Yous turnin' soft Conlon." He laughed and shook his head. Today was a day filled with head shaking. Before being able to say anything else, there was a knock on the door. Spot let go of my face and walked up to it, grabbing his cane from the box he sat on earlier. I quietly made my way to the window at the end of the room, looking outside of it. "Jennifer." I opened the window, taking one last look at Spot who was standing inside the door frame hiding the room from the girl standing outside. "Patrick. Butter send me over, heard about your visitor." And with that I jumped outside, landing on the wooden floor. I could hear muffled words from inside but decided to walk past the wall, right to the footbridge. I didn't notice for how long I'd been in Brooklyn, till I saw the sun slowly going down. The air was nice but I could smell the dirty water. The sound of soft waves crashing against the wood kept me company till I saw the small, blond boy from Meddas. "Yous Joan, right?" I nod and looked down at him. "Butterfinger told me to walk you ta 'hattan." Without saying anything else, we walked down the footbridge till we reached the road which led to Brooklyn bridge. "Me names Snappy. But yous can call me Snappy." I laughed at his words and smiled at him.

"Joan."

"I know."

To the end of the Brooklyn Bridge, the beginning of Manhattan was spent in quietness. Snappy wasn't much of a talker I thought and besides, I was deep in my thoughts about that Jennifer. "We's here. Have a good night." He tipped his head towards me and turned around, walking back down the bridge. I could still see the lights of the Brooklyn lodging house, even some people in the river. Ignoring it, I turned on my heels, walking down some alleys as a shortcut. Not much later I arrived at my house, hearing the boys from inside already. Slowly walking up the stairs, I stopped in front of the boys' door. "She ain't no little goirl anymore Kid. Put some trust in 'er." I chuckled a little before opening the door revealing myself to them. "Your majesty has arrived." Immediately I was greeted by a strong pair of arms around my waist lifting me off the ground. A groan left my mouth in response. "Don't ya break her!" I smiled at Kid Blink and kissed him on the cheek. "What did Spot want?" I was hit with many questions from all the boys while making my way towards Kids bunk, sitting on top of it. "Don't yous lot worry. Just talked 'bout the strike. Told 'im that he's da key..." And again I was lost in my thoughts. The silver key around Spots neck was brought back into my mind. Patrick Spencer Conlon. A hand was waving in front of my face, bringing me back into reality. "Sorry, yeah well Is told 'im he's da key to the mission and if Brooklyn ain't joining, Queens and Harlem won't either." Kid jumped next to me leaning over to look me in the face. "And?" I shrugged and smiled at him. "We's going to see I'm guessin'." I jumped off the bed and walked past everyone. "Is off to bed. G'night." And with that I left the room, entering my own. And the last thing my mind went to was Spot or should I call him Patrick.