chapter three

Brooklyn Bridge;

Spot POV

Joan. Never have I heard of her before. Maybe the 'hattan boys tried keeping her a secret or she just wasn't important for anyone to know about. But I had the feeling, that she was going to be a big part of our future. What was confusing me the most was why I've never knew about her. I know everyone who's close to Brooklyn and to be completely honest, I felt stupid not knowing her. She seemed to be important to at least Race and Blink. Race and me go way back. We met back when I was still a little boy. And now I see him dancing with this girl whos face I've never seen before.

Now here I was, standing in front of her door with nothing but a grin on my face. She was different. Besides that she just took her clothes off in front of me, she just had something about her that made me want to get to know her. I turned around to the wooden door, about to knock at it again.

"Spot, wat da hell are yous doin' here?"

I turned around to face Race with a cigar in his mouth, about to lit it up.

"Got somethin' for ya."

I pulled a pack of havana cigars out of my pocket, handing it to the boy in front of me. I knew how much he likes them. And after getting some beer from the corner shop I decided to grab that pack aswell. Race smiled at me and took a step away to invite me inside. I took one last gaze at the door I just came out of and then walked inside of the boy's room. It already smelled different from Joans. You could nearly taste the sweat. Taking a look at the first few bunks, I saw the young ones already asleep. It was normal for Newsies to take care of their little ones. They had to go to bed earlier and weren't allowed to stay out too late. It was the same in Brooklyn. They were their little brothers. I noticed how long I've been looking at the kids and turned around to see Race looking inside the room standing on the fire escape. I walked after him and the two of us went on the roof. It was already dark, the stars were hidden behind some clouds. Thats what I love about Brooklyn. No matter the weather, you were always able to see the stars. Most nights I go on top of the building next to our lodging house, just to sit and enjoy the quietness and the sky. But never would I tell anyone where I'm going at night nor what I was doing.

"Why'd yous leave so early tonight?"

Race gave me a cigar, already holding a match in his hand. We sat on the edge of the roof with our legs over the end. "Had to get da cigars." I wasn't completely lying. But to be honest, I was just overwhelmed with the situation. Joan dancing, everyone enjoying themselves and me just sitting there. Sometimes I miss being a normal boy. Doing whatever I want without thinking about my reputation. But if anyone would see me, dancing and singing around like Race, I would be called weak. Thats just how it works. "How'd yous know Joan?" I was looking at the streets down below our feet. I feel like the king of the world in moments like these. "She's Kloppman's granddaughter. Known 'er for couple of years." I nodded and took in the smoke of the cigar. Never liked the taste of them things. "Why's you aski'?" These kind of conversations were the ones I liked and needed. They took my mind of everything else going on. "Just surprised I's never heard of 'er befores." Race chuckled and turned towards me. "She ain't out there wit us most of da time. Her grandfather wants 'er to be safe." I laughed quietly, knowing where that thought came from. If I'd ever have a daughter, I won't let her wander around with some random newsies. I know them boys too well. If they see a pretty girl the first thing their mind goes to is how they can make her theirs.

„She's special."

Race broke the silence and blew the smoke into the night air. With my eyebrows raised I turned to my friend. „Why's dat?" He gave me a smile and looked at the streetlight below our feet. „Yous eida want 'er as your friend or enemy. No in between. If she likes you, yous got a friend for life." While talking about her, his eyes starting lighting up, which was weird for me to see. I remember my mother telling me about that feeling. Talking about someone you.. "Love. You's love 'er..?" It came out as a question. But I knew for a fact that Racetrack Higgins loved her. He shook his head and turned towards me. "Not inda way you're thinkin'. She's been wit us for ova 7 years. She's been livin' with da parents of hers till they..." He got quiet, but I already knew where this was going. There was a pretty high chance that your parents died when you're young. Illnesses, Gangs, hunger. I've been there. "I don't have da right to tell yous her life story. If yous care, ask 'er." He threw away the rest of his cigar and turned around to stand up. "You're comin'?" I shook my head and continued looking at the few people passing by. "I'm goin' ta stay a little longer." I spat into my hand and smiled at Race, who returned the action. We shook hands and I watched him leave over the fire escape.