chapter seventeen

reality;

3rd person POV

Spot helped Joan off the carriage as the both looked after the governor. Still in shook, Spot grabbed her hand, pulling her after him. Her gaze left the carriage to looked at their hands. "Spot?" He didn't stop but gave her a sign to continue. "We're in Brooklyn." He gave her a soft laugh before looking her in the eyes. "Didn't notice that before, thank you for tellin' me." She laughed at him before she stopped walking, making him stop and turn towards her. "Joan, what's wrong?" She smiled a little at him before pulling away her hand. It was weird being like that with him. They acted all lovey dovey. Medda would like to see that. "Ain't you goin' to take some distance?" Spot rolled his eyes at her, taking her hand back in his. "Didn't we just kiss in front of everyone?" Bringing back the memory to her, she had a smile on her face. It was an amazing moment. Finally able to show affection in front of other people. She didn't exactly know why Spots opinion changed, but thinking about it; she didn't care. "Right." Without hesitation, she pulled him closer to place a soft kiss on his lips. "And besides that, everyone's still in 'hattan." He had a grin on his lips which Joan copied. "You's thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?" Spot pulled her closer and shrugged. "What are you's thinkin?" She smiled up to him and tapped him on the shoulder before running off. "You're it!"

Watching after her for some seconds, Spot realized what she was doing. A laugh escaped his lips as he chased after her. "Oh c'mon!"

They ran trough the streets of Brooklyn, Joan always ahead of the man behind her. Every few seconds she took a look behind herself to see how close Spot was. Both of them not being able to stop laughing. They enjoyed the moment. It's been some time since they were able to just be young. The sun was shining trough the building. "How's you so fast, goil?" Spot stopped running, leaning against a wall to try and catch his breath. Joan did the same and watched him laughing. "You's just lazy!" He looked up to her with a smirk before quickly running up to her, wrapping his arms around her back to pull her up. He twirled her around, both not being able to contain their laughter. As he sat her down, Joan turned around, wrapping her arms around his neck. "It's nice." He smiled. "What is?" She looked around before locking eyes with him. "This. Just being ourselves." Spot nodded and placed a kiss on her forehead. "I wanna show you's somethin." He wrapped his hand around hers as he started walking down an alley with her. There was a silence between them which both enjoyed. The past weeks, the strike was all they heard about. Always standing with a loud crowd.

Spot looked around before walking inside a building, Joan quickly following after him. They went up some flights of stairs till they reached a door. The man looked at her with a smile before opening the door, showing her the roof. A couch was standing near the edge, some bottles laying around. In awe, Joan pushed herself past him to enter the roof. She walked up to the couch, throwing herself onto the furniture. She laid across it, as Spot pulled up her legs to sit underneath them. He placed them back on top of his as he watched her. She was gazing up to the sky. "It's a rabbit." She pointed at a cloud. Spot followed her finger to find the white thing floating in the air. "I don't see it." She laughed at him. "Use your imagination, Conlon."

The pair spend most of the day on the rooftop watching the clouds, talking about everything that came to their minds and just laughing. Spot got two bottles of beer from behind the couch, which they were drinking at the moment. "Have you been thinkin' bout Pete's offer?" The two of them were sitting back to back, leaning against each other, watching over Brooklyn and even a small part of Manhattan. "I'll go." Joan turned around with a smile, taking a sip from the glass bottle. "That's amazing." He smiled back at her, also drinking. "I'll tell the boys tomorrow and then get me stuff." Joan remembered that it was already wednesday, giving them only two more days before he had to take off. "Will you write?" Spot chuckled at her words, remembering when he asked her the same thing. Both of them are going to live separately. But this time, both growing up to be adults. "If you'll answer?" He smiled at her playfully. "I promise." Her voice was soft as she got closer to him. "Then, I'll write." He cupped her face to kiss her soft lips. The kiss was filled with emotion. Not the usual hungry kiss they always shared. This one was different, it had a meaning which both of them noticed. Joan pulled away, leaving both of them missing the warm feeling. "Look at us, growing up." Spot laughed a little with a nod before placing the empty bottle on the ground. "Thank you." He stroke sone of her hair behind her ear. "For what?" She had a soft smile on her lips which made a knot build up inside of the man's stomach. "For showin' me the real world. For givin' me a chance and opportunity." Tears started building up inside Joan's eyes as she watched him. Not because she was sad or angry. She realized that they grew up together. They helped each other become what they were now in such a short time. Never would she have imagine for something like this to happen to her. She quickly looked away, taking in a deep breath. "It's my turn now." Spot laughed a little and looked at her confused.