chapter seven

reputation;

3rd person POV

Joan and the Manhattan newsies stood in front of the world building waiting for the gates to open. It was scary for the girl but with everyone around her, the feeling quickly left, and all she did was wait. They stood as an union till the delivery carts rushed out nearly hitting some of the boys. Screams went through the crowd and as soon as the gates opened up, a group of scabs stood near the exit, papes in their hands. "Will yous look at this?" Race talked with a cigar between his teeth. "For Crutchy!" And with Jack's scream, Joan was pulled inside the courtyard by Kid Blink who grabbed her hand, intertwining their fingers. "Jack. Jack! The Crib!" Race backed away from the opening gates next to Weasels' window. A group of armed men walked towards the group of screaming boys including Joan. She tightened her grip around Blink's hand, before pulling him towards the gates they just came through. Stopping in front of them she saw that they were closed and some of the men standing in front of it. She backed away, bumping into Kid Blink who looked around, in hope of finding a place for Joan to hide. Quickly he walked up to one of the carriages the papes laid on, pulling her up and sitting her down on a stack of papes. "Stay here!" His voice was filled with anger, but he knew Joan better than that she would miss out on this. As soon as Blink left, the girl jumped down and right on one of the men attacking a newsie. Her hands grabbed his hair, pulling him backward. She landed back on her feet and saw how he turned around, an ugly grin placed on his face. "Oh my, a little goil." He bent down a little before Joan's fist met his face. "Bastard." He stumbled back, shaking his head, the expression on his face going from amused to angry. He walked up to her with his fist already in the air. "Try me." And with that her foot landed between his legs, finally sending him to the ground. Before she was able to celebrate her success a hand was wrapped around her wrist, turning her around. "Joan!" A pair of hands were cupping her face. "Blink!" She wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him into a hug. "I told ya to stay!" She laughed at him before being pulled back into a huge crowd of fighting people. Fists were thrown around, hitting faces including Joans. "Son of a bitch." And again she was throwing her hand around to slap the man who just gave her a black eye. An unfamiliar sound came from the roofs of the factory making most people look up. "It's Brooklyn!" Mush started jumping on one of the armed men, pushing him to the ground.

And there he was, Spot Conlon with his slingshot aimed down. A smile replaced her angry frown. "Never fear, Brooklyn's here." He pushed out his chest and the Brooklyn newsies started shooting the enemies. Screams left their mouths but the happiness didn't stay long, as Joan got hit in the side by one of the men's baseball bats. She let out a scream, which caused Spot to look down on the crowd, trying to find the girl. She was surrounded by three men, one of them already with a swollen eye. He quickly grabbed a hock that was hanging from a rope, sliding down.

Maybe it was fate because the line went right over Joan who was still surrounded. Getting ready to fight, she held up her fist which wasn't much use, because seconds later Spot kicked down her opponents. He turned around with his familiar smirk. "Princess." She wrapped her arms around him, pulling the boy in a hug, but he pushed her away not much later. Grabbing his cane he went up to the gates, pushing them open and turning around right after that. Brooklyn Newsies. "Alright, I give up." Joan turned away from Spot to see Race sitting on the stairs with a man grinning down at him. But right after that, he hicked him between the legs, Joan throwing a fist at him. "There you are!" Race patted her back and gave a quick smile before both of them heard Blink shouting curse words at someone. They turned around to see the tall blond hit an armed man, making him fall over immediately. He grinned at them and jumped down the stairs, pulling both of them in a hug. "Shit, what happened to ya eye?" He softly touches the sore skin around the girl's eye. "Tried your look. Ain't something for me though." She smiled, not much later the Newsies pushed the assailants back inside the factory, making everyone break out into cheers.