chapter twenty-four

ghost

3rd person

Joan was still laying on Spots bed, her head resting on his chest. "Y'know, yous never told me what you've been up to since I left." The man looked down on the womans head.  A quiet chuckle left her mouth which send a vibration trough his chest. "You's never gonna believe me." She turned around, leaning over him. Her hair was flying in the hair, but too short to reach his face. "I took over the Harlem newsies." Spot slowly reached out for her face and stroke over her cheek.

"You's jokin, right?"

Both started to laugh until Joan stopped and shook her head. "I swear."

She sat up and leaned against the wall, Spot watching her closely.

"After you left I was broken. I didn't know what to do. My grandpa wanted us to leave as soon as possible. I realised that I couldn't leave. I knew that when you's return, you ain't gonna know where I'm at. So I talked to some other newsies and went to Harlem. It wasn't even that hard for me to win them over." 

She had a grin on her face. 

"Of course it wasn't." Spot started laughing before wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her closer again. She landed on top of him and smiled at his action. 

"Me goirl is the leader of harlem. Who would've thought."

Again she smiled, not able to wrap her head around the fact that the man she thought to be lost at sea, was laying right underneath her head. ''I should actually go back there today. How about you join me?'' His smile faded. ''I don't think that a good idea, love.'' She sat up and turned towards him. ''Why's that?'' She started putting her shoes on, clipping the suspenders to her pants. ''Just don't want them to know. It's nice to be here with you's, no responsibilities. Just enjoyin' being with you's.'' She smiled again, grabbing her hat. ''Alright. At least say Hi to Butters. He's been a mess after the news hit.'' He nodded. ''I'll try.'' 

She gave him a soft kiss and walked up to the door. ''I really missed you's, Conlon.'' She looked at him and saw his face in the sun light. ''I missed you's too, Joan.'' 

Leaving the dock, she made her way back to Harlem. The Newsies were already out, carrying the banner, which made her proud. They could handle themselves without her being there. Maybe it was a sign. A sign to finally leave. With Spot back, they could start the life they've been dreaming of the whole time. He could get a job, she could study being a nurse. Have a family. With the never leaving smile on her lips, she walked up to her ginger friend.

''Grinds!'' He turned around, walking up to her. ''Keys, you've made it back.'' They hugged and she realized where they left their relationship. ''Can we's talk?'' He nodded and took off his hat. They sat down on a bench, the sun shining down on them. ''So where've you's been?'' She couldn't hold back a smile and looked at him with sparkling eyes. ''With Spot.'' His smile dropped for a second but grew again after he saw the happieness in her eyes. ''How?'' She shrugged. ''No idea. But he's here.'' It was quiet. Neither of them talking. ''And now?'' She looked at the ground. ''I'll be leavin'.'' His smile dropped again. ''You's kiddin' right?'' She shook her head. ''We's got a second chance at a life together and I ain't about to drop it.'' ''But you's goin to drop everythin' you got here?'' His voice got a bit harsher, but what did she expect. ''That's why I'm here. I want you's to take over Harlem. You's a born leader, everyone respects you. I wasn't born for this.'' Too late, but she realized what she just said. ''Oh yeah, sorry I forgot you's was born into a family business. Ain't like us, you's got someone waitin for you's.'' He placed his hat back on his hair and stood up. ''Good luck, for you and Spot. You's deserve it. Really.'' His voice got quiet and he left. 

Looking after him, she had a sad smile on her lips. It tasted bittersweet. Knowing she had to leave everyone behind, for a life with Spot. But that was a price she was willing to pay. Not many people find someone, they want to spend the rest of their time with, lose them and find them again. She looked around one last time, saying goodbye to the part of this city she called home for the past year. 

Making her way up to Brooklyn, she dopped as she passed the lodge she used to live in. It still looked the same. The door handle was still loose. The stairs still made a noise whilst walking up. The boys still slept in the room on the left. She opened up the door and walked trough the empty room, past the beds, towards the window she used to climb trough. She did what she always did, climbing onto the roof. The view, again, making her feel like she was a kid again. She sat down on the edge, her legs hanging down from it. ''Knew I'd find you here.'' The voice made her turn around. ''How did you get here?'' Spot sat down next to her. ''Wanted to see you's.'' She leaned her head onto his shoulder. ''I gave up Harlem.'' She smiled at Spot just to see his smile drop. ''What?'' Confused by his reaction, she moved her head away from him. ''We's can go anywhere. Get a bloody farm. Start a family, or don't. Just be together.'' Spot stood up, his hand going trough his hair. ''No, no. You's have to go back, Joan. This ain't what I planned.'' She followed after him. ''What?'' He looked disstressed. ''Hey, Spot, what's wrong?'' He pushed her hand away and looked at her with tears in his eyes. ''Go back. Please.'' She shook her head, turning away from him. She looked at the view again. The port, the bridges, the buildings. ''We can leave all of this behind, Spot. Start something new. Just the two of us.'' She turned around to see no one. ''Spot?'' Her heart dropped. ''Spot!?'' She looked around the rooftop, just to find no one.

''Joan?'' She turned around to see Jack. ''Who are you's talkin to?'' He climbed up the last steps and jumped over the edge, to get to Joan. ''Oh Kelly.'' She wrapped his arms around him, catching him off guard but it wasn't long until he hugged her back. She missed his hugs. His strong arms wrapped around her waist, pulling her closer to him. ''Spot's back.'' Her voice was quiet, but Jack quickly turned to face her. ''he's dead.'' She quickly shook her head. ''No, he just left. He's alive. I swear.'' He looked around and had a sad smile on his lips. ''But I ain't..'' He stopped talking, knowing how hurt she was just a couple of days ago, when they had the send-off. ''Let's go to him, alright?'' He grabbed her hand and the two of them climbed back down the stairs, trought the window, going down the hallways and stairs. Jack could feel Joan pulling him with her, trying to make her way to Brooklyn as fast as possible to prove to him, that Spot was actually with her.