chapter sixteen

revenge;

3rd person POV

Joan held up the necklace towards the smaller boy. He took a look at it before a smile was formed on his lips. "She says Hello." He placed the necklace in his chest pocket before nodding at Joan. "Thank you." She smiled back at him. Both of them were standing in front of the world. The sun was starting to rise. Spot brought Joan back to the lodge the day before. They walked around the city for some hours before he left for Brooklyn. Joan even got him to thank Pete for the opportunity, which was harder for him than anything else. Of course he was thankful, but Pete was still someone he didn't like. Maybe it was just because of the first time they've met. But after he thanked the older man, the two of them even shook hands, which was enough for Joan. Kid told her about what happened to Jack and David. That Jack got a place to print a flyer for all the kids around New York. Everything happened so fast, she didn't even notice that it was the next day until Race came knocking on her door. They got ready and went to the world building. All the Manhattan newsies waited for their sign. "It's Davey!" Mush whisper-shouted towards the group as they saw the man standing behind the gates, quietly opening them up for them. Joan and Race ran up to him, all having a smile on their faces. "Get a bundle each. You two are taking Harlem." Joan gave David a pat on the back before her and Race went to a window near the floor. Jack was looking outside with a bunch of papers in his hands. "Joan." His voice was soft as he noticed the woman. She got down on her knees, taking the bundle from him. "Heya, Jackey." He smiled as he realized that she wasn't mad at him anymore. "We's goin' to win this thing." She nodded before handing some of the papers to Race.
As soon as they each read over the words, they started running up some streets, making their way trough mid town, the upper east side, till they finally reached Harlem.

The sun just started shining over the high buildings, only a handful of people on the streets. "I'll take eight avenue. You go down 125th street. We's goin' to meet at 5th avenue in an hour." Race took off after Joan explained the plan. She made her way down the street, as she stopped at a small shop. "Hey boy, can you read?" The boy, maybe about 12 years of age, gave her a soft nod as he whipped his hands on his apron. "Read this." He took the paper and sat down, reading over the words. Not stopping, Joan made her way deeper inside of Harlem. Each time she saw a kid, she held out a paper for them to read. She saw a building, many boys standing in front of it, waiting for the gates to open. It was a factory. "Mornin' fellas." They tipped their hats towards her, as she each gave them a paper to read. "The strikes still goin?" She smiled at the boy. "It's about to end."

The streets were now starting to fill with people. She noticed a fire escape on which she quickly crawled up. As she reached the highest point she took a look around the streets. Kids, young to old, walking around to get to their jobs, trying to feed themselves and their families. A shiver went down her spine. "It's a revolution!" She screamed at the top of her lungs as she threw the last of her papers from the building. People on the ground, picking them up to read over the words. She smiled at the view as she quickly got down the stairs, running towards 5th avenue. She saw Race leaning against a brick wall. "You's done?" He wrapped his arm around her shoulders as the two of them made their way back to lower Manhattan.

"So, when's the others coming, Kid?" Mush looked at Blink as he pointed towards the street which lead from mid town to the square. "It's Joan and Race!" The pair ran up to the rest of them, both trying to catch their breath. "And?" Joan took a deep breath in, looking at Jack. "They ain't coming. Ain't gonna be nobody but us." Snitch looked at him confused. "Come on, Jack." Specs gave him a soft smile. "Have hope, Jack." Kelly rolled his eyes at them and leaned against the statue. Les walked closer to the world building, standing next to Joan and Race. "When the circulation bell starts ringing, will we hear it?" Race smiled and ruffled his hair. "Nah." Placing a cigar between his teeth. Joan leaned down to Les. "What if the Delancey's come out swingin'. Will we hear it?" The young boy looked at the two, stumping his feet against the ground. "No!" Race laughed a little. "Atta boy."