chapter thirteen

escape;

3rd person POV

Joan and Jack were talking for some more hours, until Crutchy got her. Joan promised Jack that she would do anything possible to get him out and win the strike, to which he didn't say anything. The girl laid between the wall and Crutchy. It was a restless night and as the sun got up, the kids around her got ready for another uneventful day. "So, what is it you're doing around here?" Crutchy shrugged and limped towards the sink. "Breakfast should get here any minute now. After that we's probably getting some clothes to fix up. That's all we's doing 'round here." She nodded and got up to wash her face. As she looked inside the mirror, a figure appeared behind her, outside the window. Quickly she jumped around to see Racetrack hanging on a rope. "Race. What in gods name are you doin' here?" She smiled at him, as the boy wiggled around to grab onto the bars. "We's gettin' you out-.. Hey, watch the line up there!" He spun around, the rope making a quiet sound. He looked like a helpless baby. A small laugh escaped the girls lips, as the door to the room opened up. "Quick, hide!" Race swung to the side, as Joan turned around to see some of the boys with apples in their hands. "Breakfast lady's." She chuckled as the door closes and no Snyder was near. Race swung back into sight, swinging from side to side. "Damn it, Mush! Hold the line steady." He looked up, Joan managing to push her head outside to see Mush and David on the roof, holding onto the rope. "Morning fellas." They gave her a smile as Race wrapped his hand around her wrist. "I'm goin' to pull you out, alright?" She nodded, turning around to see the room watching them. "We're going to find a way to get all of you's out, I promise."

She again pushed her head trough the bars, Race putting his arms under hers, his feet against the wall to pull. Tucking in her stomach, she could feel how she got pulled out. Just as her feet got out, the door opened up, showing Snyder. "It was nice meetin' you, Mr Snyder." And with that, Race and the girl were pulled up. As their bodies hit the roof, Joan pulled Race in a hug, David and Mush after that. "Thank you guys." She smiled as all of them got up, getting off the building. "Everyone's at the square." The four of them were running down the streets to be met by a big group of newsies. It always amazed Joan to see how many people were standing with them. She saw Kid Blink, Boots, Les and Spot standing in front of the gates. "Spot's here?" She stopped Race who was shrugging before they walked up to them. A small fight was going on in the crowd, David running between two boys. "Race! Help me! I need some help!" He rolled his eyes, placing a cigar between his teeth. "Alright! I ain't deaf!" Race pushed one of the boys backwards, Spot walking up to them. "Hey, hey, hey! Break it up." The boys started calming down, Spot placing his cane back into his belt. Joan stopped next to Kid, tapping him on the shoulder. "Missed me?" She smiled as he wrapped his arms around her neck. As he pulled away, she broke into laughter. He stroke some hair out of her face as he placed his hand on her cheek. "My beautiful, beautiful Joan." She smiled softly, looking him in the eye, as he placed his lips onto hers.

The kiss was short, but as she pulled away, she saw Spot scoffing behind them. "I'm sorry, what are we's watchin'? Cuz-..." Spot was interrupted by Skittery who was leaning towards them. "Is this new?Cuz' I hate it." Spot chuckled and patted the boys back. Joan rolled her eyes at them and before she was able to say anything, the gates opened up. "Hey, Race, come here." Spot pointed towards the gate trough which the scabs walked out. Race leaned towards Spot, turning away from the fight they just broke up. "What?" He looked at where he was pointing. "Just tell me I'm seeing things. Just tell me I'm seeing things." Race shook his head at Spot. "No, you ain't seeing things. That's Jack." Joan and Kid walked next to them, Spot noticing their hands holding onto each other. "What's he doin'?" Kid scoffed a little and turned to face Spot. "He's dressed like a scabber!" The crowd got louder as they all noticed Jack walking out with Weasel next to him. "Jack? Jack, look at me, will ya? Come on, it's me, Mush. Look at me. What are you doin', Jack?" Mush brushed past the group, wanting to go to Jack but he was stopped by some police men. Kid let go of Joan's hand as he pushed himself next to Mush. "This ain't happening. This can't be happening.
What are you doin' Jack? Come on, what are you doin'?" You could hear how hurt they were in their voices. Boots jumped in front of them, also wanting to take a look at his friend. "Come on. What is this? Where'd you get them clothes?" Weasel smiled and brushed over Jacks chest. "Mr. Pulitzer picked them out himself. A special gift to a special new employee."