Looking after

~ 2 weeks later ~
~ Danny ~
I walk through the doors to the hospital. I hear some girls laughing. And some others talking more seriously in another room. I hear some men moaning in pain. And then I hear Evelyn among the serious ones. "Girls we have to do everything we can to help them. They have been in war for us." I then step around the corner to the room they are all in. "Hello ladies" and they all answer "Hello Danny". I smile by the sight of Evelyn. "Danny, is everything okay?" Evelyn asks me. I nod "Yes I was just hoping that I could talk to you?" She nods and we go into one of the doctors office. "I'm just worried about my squad... They are being shipped out today." I say with a worried face. She answers with a smile on her face. "Danny my dear. You have trained them well. They could not be better prepared. I am just worried that you are going with them..." I sigh. "I know... But... I'm really not supposed to tell... We have been told that Japan will attack Midway and we can't let them do that. It's a secret, but I'm not going far. I'm only going to Midway and I'll not participate in the fighting. Only be there for the group, they'll fly me home before anything happens. But remember, it's a secret" I say and wink at her. She gives me a little smile "I really hope they'll fly you home in time." I grab her in for a hug.

~ 3rd June 1942 ~
Today is the day, we are going to Midway. I'm only packing a little bag since I'll be back by tomorrow. Evelyn is with me by the plane like when we went on the Doolittle raid... It's a sad moment. "I love you Eve, I'll see you tomorrow." she smiles "I love you Danny, see you tomorrow." I kiss her goodbye and board the plane with my squad. The boys on my squad have a lot of questions about the Doolittle raid but I'm not eager to talk about it... I lost my best friend during that raid.