Looking happy

I try to go sleep again but must give up and open my eyes to see Danny standing in the door looking at me. "Still trying to sleep?" He asks me looking a bit concerned. I nod "Yes... He keeps kicking." Danny grins "He's just too exicted to come out and meet his beautiful mommy." I blush and put my head on his left shoulder as he sits down beside me. "Danny will this ever end?" I ask with a worried tone while looking up at him. He looks me in the eyes and answers "I don't know Evelyn... I really really do hope so. But I wouldn't be without it. I wouldn't have met you if we had not been shipped to Pearl Harbor." I feel a warm feeling rushing through me thinking about what he just said. He wouldn't have traded anything for meeting me... I can't help myself but keep loving this man more and more for each day.

I wake up to a weird tapping sound. I finally fell asleep on Dannys lap while he read a book. I look up at him and see him smiling. "It's raining" he says and I gasp. "Rain?!" And sit up fast. He laughs at me. I run into the rain with a smile on my face and starts dancing around "you wanna come?" I ask Danny and he just points at his right arm. Ah right, his bandage can't go in the water. "I'll just watch" he says and winks at me. I blush and start to dance around again. Suddenly I feel his left hand on my hip and his lips by my ear. "I couldn't help myself, you look so happy." I turn around, he has put a big jacket over his bandage, but it won't hold forever. His hand on my hip pull me closer so we stand chest to chest. His hand has traveled a long way south of my waist and I close the small gap between our lips. We haven't really been alone since before Danny left for Midway and it's showing now. We need eachother more than ever and this kiss is turning a lot more heated than I expected. I let go and  put my head on his chest. "Can we dance a little?" I ask and I can feel him nod "Of course but I'm not a good partner with only one hand". We laugh and I shake my head "No just like this". His left hand is on my lower back, my hands around his welltrained body and my head on his chest just rocking from left to right to left. "I was really scared when you weren't home by 1 pm." I say to him with tears in my eyes. "I was even more scared to loose you when I saw you coming out of that plane on that gurney". He realises through my voice that I'm almost crying and lift up my chin with his arm in the bandage. "Evelyn I'm not going to leave you, ever. And I'm certainly not leaving you to be a mother alone. I promise you that." I nod but can't help myself "But Danny... World War II is right over our heads... We can never say never." He nods "I know Eve, I know..." He kisses my forehead and rubs my back with his left hand. I look at his arm with the jacket on and realise it's almost wet all the way through so we head inside and we start making dinner. Danny is actually a pretty decent cook and we love cooking together. It's much better than the food I got when I lived with the other nurses and I know Danny thinks the same about the food they got when he lived with the other pilots. The house we live in now is still earned by the army we haven't paid for it, we were  offered to live here after Danny returned from Doolittles raid and it was clear that we were building a family together. Or... At least we're having a baby together which will hopefully someday turn into a family with at least 2 kids. If Danny wants to.

~Danny~
We're eating our curry chicken in peace only listening to the rain outside. There's not many days with rain on Hawaii so I'm actually really enjoying it. I look up from my plate and catch Evelyn looking at my bandage. "Are you in pain?" She asks me. I shake my head "No I'm alright." And lie. It's very painful right now but I'm not one to complain. She narrows her eyebrows at me and gives me a doubtful face. I don't believe you she says and stands up. "Let's just eat, I'm fine" I say but she waddles around the table and begins to unwrap my bandage.