Looking behind

~ Danny ~
I wake up in a blur and everything is white. I'm at the hospital and the next thing I see are Evelyns brown eyes.
"Danny!" She whispers with tears in her eyes. "You are alive!" I smile. "Of course I am" I say low due to the buildning pain in my right arm and chest. I look at the place where I feel pain and see a huge bandage. "What happened?" I ask remembering that I jumped in a plane and fought but not how I got here. "You were shot down in front of the USS Hornet. The cook of the ship pulled you out of the plane in the water with a medic. They saved your life." I feel confused and thankful. But then I remember, the early attack, Evelyn that tells me everything is gonna be okay, and the morfin hitting.

~ Evelyn ~
I wake up in the middle of the night. I'm at the hospital where I've been sleeping next to Danny for the last couple of days. He's supposed to go home tomorrow if the wound is healing nicely. I go to the bathroom to get some water and take a breath before I go back to sleep. A light flashes through the bathroom window behind me and I hear men shouting outside. "Come on guys!! Hurry Up!" I run outside and se 3 men running towards the hospital building and a man being helped to walk by 2 others. "He's been shot! Help us!" I lead them into the building and they put him on a table. I run towards the doctors office and wake up the doctor at work. The doctor rushes to the patient and I wake up the other nurses at work. They run off to help and I sneak back into the room where Danny sleeps. Or... Where he was asleep at least. "Hey Eve, what's going on?" He asks with a sleepy voice. I run my fingers through my hair while answering "A man has been shot. I don't know how." He looks confused "Shot? Here? In Pearl Harbor? By who?" I shake my head "I don't know, I just woke up the doctor and the nurses. I'll go see if they need anything, and then I'll be right back. Okay?" He nods and pouts his lips, asking for a kiss. I laugh and give him a peck on the lips before going to the operating room.

The operating room is a mess. There's blood, towels and people everywhere. I ask if I can help and the doctor nods "yes ms. Johnson I could use a bunch of clean towels and a bowl of hot water." I nod and go to the kitchen to boil the water and walk to the supply room while the water boils and get a handfull of towels.
I hand the boiled water and the towels over to the people in the operating room and leave them to work before I go back to Danny. He's still awake when I crawl into the bed next to him. He reaches his left hand over to me so I can hold it. I take his hand and put it under my head. He smiles at me. "I love you Evelyn, you know that. Right?" I nod and smile. "I love you Danny." He smiles and we drift into sleep.