Prologue - Ten Years Ago

I was born the Princess of Antik; my bloodline had ruled the planet for over a thousand years. And I was sixteen when the droid army came. The Royal Guard had taken my family and hundreds of other people to our large homestead in the fields. Three Jedi had shown up two days later, at the request of my father. They told us one would stay and help train us, giving us the skillset we needed to take back our city, and our planet.

I snuck out that night, crossing the long distance through the familiar fields alone, until the sky was lit up with laser fire. The Seize of Antik was still going strong. Slipping through the hidden tunnels, I entered the castle unseen. I'd been sneaking in and out of the castle this way since I was a child, after all. I went in search for Senator Bicosch, a man I'd known my whole life. My parents were divided on what they believe Bicosch to have done, though it was clear that he had not given up the city yet. I wanted to speak with him, yes, but more importantly, I wanted to find his daughter, my best friend, and tell her about the Jedi. I knew she would want to join me in training.

And she did. She left with me that night, fleeing to the homestead. It was like our sleepovers as kids; we stayed up late, talking about the war, and working hard during the day. Only instead of Princess and Senate training, it was strategy and intense physical training. Ahsoka moved like a shadow, quick, but deadly. She taught us about the droid army, and we speculated on the King Regent the Separatists had put in place. She had a major impact on me, and I respected her greatly.

We trained for two months before getting word that our homestead might be invaded. The time had come. Lilya and I had become a deadly team, and others among us had grown skilled as well. Ahsoka couldn't lead the assault, but she came with us. We had perfectly timed bombs, deactivating every tank in the city at once. A hundred of us stormed the castle, but six of us snuck deeper into the castle. Ahsoka, a young Antikian man, and I rushed the throne room while Lilya and two other Antikian freedom fighters went to the other wing to find the Senator.

We had no problem getting to the throne room and taking down the droids, but the false king just sat on the throne, watching, until we were done. When the last droid clunked to the marble floors, he grinned a malicious smile and pressed a button on his comm. His eyes lifted to the rolling hills in the distance.

I turned, sprinting toward the floor to ceiling glass windows, shoving through the door. Before I even reached the edge of the rooftop balcony that oversaw the endless fields of our planet, I saw the explosion, far in the distance. A massive blue sphere seemed to seep out farther and farther as I continued to run to the end of the balcony. I slammed into the railing and screamed. The sphere seemed to absorb into itself, sending out a shock wave. I heard it then, the deafening blast finally reaching my ears. I covered them as I watched the fields move as one: a huge, circular shock wave flowing out from the epicenter. The epicenter, our summer farms. My mother, my father. My sweet baby sister. My cousins, my friends. Everyone I've ever loved. Except Lilya.

I turned around, but saw droids had flooded the room. There wasn't time to fight. I looked down, the balcony below was about four meters. I took a deep breath and positioned myself before dropping to the ground. My ankles and knees radiated with pain, but I instantly began running.

I was on the right level now, but in the complete opposite wing. I ran, pushing myself like Ahsoka had taught me. Tears were blurring my vision, and I tried to blink them away.

Then, I felt heat. I heard an earsplitting explosion as I was thrown backward. Shrapnel cut through my skin, broken glass and wood from 1,000 year old doors and walls exploding everywhere. I had no idea how far away the blast had been, but I was hurting, and my ears were ringing.

"Lilya," I tried to call out. I rolled over onto my elbows and pushed myself up. My gaze drifted to my arms; they weren't as bad as I thought. I touched my face, and though there were lots of little painful scrapes and cuts, nothing seemed to be open wide. I was okay.