Chapter 16 - Ahsoka

Darro and I were quiet on the flight to the space station. We'd already gone over every possible outcome we could think of, exhaustedly. There was one life form on board. My heart was pounding as we connected to the station. I had no idea how the Jedi would react to me bringing a friend.

We followed the same path Eli and I had walked years ago. There was a large social center to the space station, where there had once been merchants selling various goods, with several meeting areas. We entered, and walked to the center, unkempt bushes and vines lining the pathways.

I cleared my throat, my skin prickling from the sensation of someone unseen watching me.

"Hello," I called out. "I'm sorry, this is Darro Izel, my first in command. He's from Onderon, and he is a friend. The Grand Admiral refused to let me come if I did not have him with me as protection."

A woman's voice called out, and I tried to find where it had come from. Unfortunately, in the massive empty room, our voices seemed to echo.

"Why would the Grand Admiral do that?"

I tensed. Did I tell her? "He knows Darro would protect me with his life," I said.

"But why does he care?"

Shit. "He loves me," is all I said.

"Do you love him, Princess?" My eyes went wide.

"Ahsoka," I said, my voice filled with relief. "You're alive, oh, you're alive!" Movement caught my eye, and I turned to my right. Ahsoka had dropped down from somewhere.

"I am," she said simply.

"Thrawn has given me something to give you, do you mind if I retrieve it from my bag?" I was so excited, and so happy.

She looked at me for a long moment before nodding. I slipped my backpack off my back and put it on the ground. I reached in and pulled the cube out. I heard her sharp inhale.

Standing up, I held it out to her and took a few steps forward.

"Where did he get that?"

"He didn't say, but he seems to collect things from our known space. He said the Jedi temple used to have a bunch of these, and that he hoped returning it to a Jedi would prove useful to you."

She picked it up and turned it over in her hands. Then she closed her eyes, and I watched with amazement as the cube began to open, giving the appearance of it hovering slightly above her hand. Once it appeared to be fully open, she opened her eyes and stared at it for many minutes. Darro and I both remained silent, absorbed with watching her. Then, the cube shut again.

"Lilya," she said. I smiled at her.

"Will it be useful?"

She nodded. "It will." I heard the slight relief in her voice, and wondered what she had seen. It disappeared into her cloak.

"But I can't say I understand Thrawn's reasoning."

"I don't know. But I don't believe his ultimate loyalties lie with the Empire."

"Then who?"

"His home, in the Unknown Regions."

She eyed me for a minute before eying Darro.

"Do you know why Lilya is here?"

"No. I mean, kind of. I don't know why you brought her here, but I know who Lilya is." I saw his expression flash minor confusion, and wondered if he had noticed the princess comment, and was wondering if he really does know who I am.