Chapter 3 - One Year Later

11 BBY, three years in the Empire, one with Tarkin

-----

There is a group of independent arms dealers that Tarkin wants us to eliminate. They are supplying the Rebellion, he believes. I read over the mission twice, then began pondering my options.

I had to take them out—that was an order. But according to this, they do it by themselves, and are not associated with a crime syndicate. If they were, Tarkin would simply convince them to work with the Empire instead. But they have to be getting their weapons from somewhere. If I could find out where before the mission is complete, I could pass that information to Bail in my next report. Just because I eliminate one source, doesn't mean I can't help them find another.

I sighed, and read the report again. Perhaps just retrieving their travel and communication logs would be sufficient. I sent the report to my team with my own orders added. An hour later, we met on the Carrion Spike.

"Kandria," I asked her once we were in hyperspace. "I need you retrieve the logs from their freighter once we're on board."

"Okay, is there anything in particular I'm looking for?"

"Could you simply copy everything?" Her eyebrows lifted slightly in surprise.

"Sure. Would you like a copy before I send in the official report?" I smiled at her, pleased. I was constantly reminded how great my team is.

She caught my smile, and returned it with equal earnestness. "I appreciate you too, boss." I raised my eyebrows at her.

"Boss?" I asked slyly.

She laughed, her chest rising a couple times. Affection swallowed me as I watched her. She was by far the most talkative, however, Kellchri was a close second, with Finon way in the back, only speaking when necessary. But she was also the most kind and warm of us all. In the year we'd been together, I'd begun to care for them all deeply. But Kandria almost felt like a little sister: annoying at times – in an affectionate way – yet always lovable.

Actually, she reminded me a bit of who I'd once been. Energetic but focused, impulsive but tamed.

These people may be Imperials—and by default, my enemy—but I cared for them. And I wondered if one day, they would truly be my ally. I had no intention of ever asking them to be. It seemed dangerous; not for me, but for them. I wouldn't put their lives at risk by revealing who I am. Ever.

But if one day, any of them showed signs of wavering allegiance, I would be there to prevent them from doing anything stupid. I would help them make a difference without destroying their lives.

"You know, I must say," I spoke to the whole room, my chest feeling full. "I picked a damn good team."

"You picked us?" Kandria said, though I felt all of their eyes shift to me.

"Well, yeah. You didn't know that?" I wondered what their orders had looked like the day they transferred to the Fortitude. Probably, report to Fortitude, 1130, I realized. They'd known nothing other than what I told them, and I hadn't included that fact.

"How exactly did you get to do that?"

I shrugged. Then, slowly, I grinned. "You really want to know how I got this position?" Her eyes went wide and she nodded enthusiastically. I chuckled.

"Honestly, I don't know. Right place, right time, I guess. I'd handled a difficult situation well, then handled myself well in front of superiors, including the Grand Moff." I shrugged. "He told me he wanted a small, elite team, and that I was to pick a few. It took days, going through the Navy's enlisted."