Chapter 13 - The Grand Admiral

Author's note: This is the longest chapter so far. The rest of the book is more fast paced, I hope you love it!

———

I woke up a few hours later, and was surprised when Thrawn was still asleep next to me. I peered over at him. I'd rarely seen him asleep, and it was... sweet.

His mouth was open ever so slightly, and his face was completely relaxed, more so than I'd ever seen. I lifted myself up onto my elbow and cocked my head at him. His hair was slightly ruffled, something I'd only seen after sex. I wanted to run my fingers through it, but didn't want to wake him. It was still ungodly early.

My eyes scanned down his face and over his lips, and I realized with a small start that they were closed now. I squinted my eyes and peered at him closer. His face wasn't quite as relaxed as it had been. He was awake. I smiled a little.

After a minute, I decided if he was awake, there was no harm in running my hands through his hair. I reached out and slid some away from his face, then ran my fingers through it. He pushed his head ever so slightly into my touch, and my heart soared. Did I actually care for this man? I pulled my hand back and laid back down. His arms reached out and pulled me closer, and I nuzzled into his chest, breathing in his scent.

The next time I woke up, it was him I felt staring at me. I reached out, but he wasn't next to me. I stretched, accidentally pushing the blanket off the bed. Letting out a big sigh, I sat up. He was standing at the edge of the bed, the blanket in hands. He'd pulled the blanket off. I looked at him, offended.

"You said you wanted to run," he said, smiling ever so slightly at my reaction. I looked at the chrono.

"At 5 in the morning?"

He shrugged. "It's 7 already our time." That was... an excellent point. I sighed and got up. He pulled me to him.

"Are you sure you want to run?" he asked, looking at me with a sly grin. I pushed him away playfully.

"I'm sure," I said dryly. I had a lot of anxieties to work out, and though sex was amazing at getting them off my mind momentarily, I needed to work it out.

We reached the gardens, and I made Thrawn commit to a path. I didn't know how well we'd stay together, and I wasn't about to wait around in the dark somewhere for him.

About fifteen minutes into the run, after he finished telling me about some of the architecture of the gardens, I felt myself finally adjust to the activity. I looked up at him with a sly grin, and took off full speed.

Within two minutes my chest was on fire, but I heard Thrawn's footsteps right behind me. My muscles burned, and my mind began to flurry through the previous day. Thrawn had figured me out, and that made me uneasy. I'd worked very hard to get where I was, and he untangled me with sex. Well, I kind of screwed it up myself. I'd slipped up too many times, and I'd gotten too close with him.

I felt my legs begin to ache, and the feeling of fatigue washed over me. The point most people would quit.

I pushed harder, knowing I was reaching the threshold, and would soon be able to run harder. Then, my mind was back on Vader, and the revelation. Thrawn had basically figured me out by then, so I understand why he wouldn't mind having the discussion with me. But it was dangerous for Eli to be questioning the Empire, and I couldn't help but wonder why Thrawn would drag him into it. Was Eli a part of Thrawn's scheme? If so, did Eli know he was a part of it?

Then, I felt my chest open up, my breathing became slightly easier, and my legs no longer felt wobbly. I pushed harder, turning a corner. I glanced at Thrawn, who was still behind me, but was visibly winded. His blue face was tinted with red, his skin almost a faded purple color. I laughed loudly. Then, over my shoulder I called, "are you struggling to keep up?"