Chapter 2 - Meeting the Squad

Five days later I sat on the floor of my new office, surrounded by holos of 19 men and women. Each and every one of them stood out to me, and if I had my way, I'd recruit them all. But it was time to narrow them down. With the goals of espionage, infiltration, and probably assassination, I began to choose, letting instinct take over.

My first choice is one I'm not sure Tarkin will approve of. Nor am I positive the man himself would approve. Darro Izel. Death troopers – which, until gaining access to all troop records, I hadn't been sure were even real – are all elite. But Darro has survived two occasions where the rest of his team had died, or disappeared. While that may not sound like the ideal pick for a team, my reasons are many. For one, his home planet is Onderon. Onderon experienced heavy separatist rule during the Clone Wars, similar to mine. It could have made him an Imperial fanatic, or, it could have a similar effect on him as it had me. Both situations where his squad had been taken out were on rebellious worlds. Perhaps there was a link, perhaps not. Regardless, his surgically enhanced limbs and dozens of successful missions were exactly what I needed if I'm to remain close to Tarkin.

Then there is Kellchri Aller, a weapon's expert on Coruscant. Kellchri is young, only 21 years old, but already making a name for himself. Again, I wondered if Tarkin would even let me recruit these people. He said I could have my pick of the Navy, and Aller was a Navy soldier, despite being stationed on Coruscant.

Next is an expert slicer. According to some secure records – which Tarkin gave me access to – Kandria Obrinn had been a part of multiple infiltrations of old Separatist strongholds after the end of the Clone wars. She had been a member of the Republic military before its fall, a special tool used against the Separatists. I needed her.

Last but not least, Finon Corcrus, a Lieutenant Commander on the Chimaera. The man has never failed a mission, even when faced with incredible odds. Briefly, I wondered if it was purely because he was a part of Commodore Thrawn's crew, who apparently faced incredible odds a lot. Thrawn is one of the people Bail Organa wants more information on, so that is another reason I wanted him in my crew. But from all accounts, the man is quick thinking, observant, and brutally efficient. Perfect.

My hope is that by only picking four, if I decided we did need a sixth crew member, Tarkin would let me chose them in the future. But ideally, I won't need any more people. I sent a quick message to Tarkin letting him know I'm ready to meet with my selections. I assumed it would be a while before he got back to me, but less than a minute later, my comm chimed. Tarkin wanted to see me. I sent him my choices, then began heading to his office.

I was led in my Schmitz, who to my surprise, actually gave me a small smile in greeting. It had no warmth to it, but it was the first one I'd seen on the woman's face. I gave her a warm smile in return, hoping to eventually gain her trust.

Sitting at the table was Tarkin and another man I didn't recognize. His officer's uniform was as crisp and perfect as everyone on the Fortitude. Whether the rigorous order of the ship and crew was a product of fear or respect toward Tarkin, I suppose I'd find out eventually. Both men stood up at my entrance, and we exchanged greetings. Tarkin introduced the man as Captain Dante Dixon, his first officer. I eyed him closely. He's incredibly handsome, and even taller than Tarkin's intimidating height. In contrast to many Imperial officers, his brown eyes looked kind, though his face was as neutral as mine. When he nodded toward me, I saw a flash of something mischievous cross his face. Was it humor, or something darker? I really wasn't sure.

"We've reviewed your selection. They're all approved, and the orders have been sent," Tarkin said once we all sat down.

I hadn't expected this, and I let my surprise show. Tarkin's lips twitched in an almost smile, enjoying catching me off guard.