Chapter 20 - The Battle of Yavin

Author's note: As you saw in the last chapter, you've officially changed galactic history. Congrats. But your job isn't finished.

May the Force be with you

———

A year later

I woke up, unsure of what woke me up. I looked down at Thrawn, who for once, hadn't been awoken by me. I stared at him for a moment before crawling off the bed. I picked up my datapad and looked at it.

There was a message from Kandria, only one minute ago. I read it, and horror began to seep down my spine. Alderaan had been invaded by the Empire. They had no military; why would they do this? I read the entire thing, then dropped my arm as I stared out into the stars. Just to the right of the window was a planet. It seems we've arrived at Lothal while we slept. I slunk to the ground and leaned against the cold window, my mind everywhere at once. After a few minutes, I finally lifted my datapad again.

To Kandria: I need the status of a ship. Tantive IV

I waited, thinking. Time had ran out. The Empire could not continue. I needed the Jedi. I'd spent almost a year seeking them out, and while I haven't found 100, I knew of more than a dozen, and I've met a total of eight.

From Kandria: It has not been located, neither has B or L. Queen is under Imperial guard

I let out a breath. Fuck.

To my team: Meet me in GA quarters after shift change.

I looked toward the bed and the lump that was Thrawn. My heart was beating too hard. It was almost 0400.

I sighed and got up, walking into the refresher. I turned the water on extremely hot, and stepped into the shower. The heat prickled at my skin, and I let the water run down my body, unmoving. I closed my eyes.

I needed to know if there were Imperials like my team, ones that have been effected by the Empire in some way. Ones that may stand up against the tyranny when the time came. If nothing else, I just needed a more complete status of the Empire. I needed my squad to visit other ships and bases. I made a mental note to put in a request for us to find a new team member.

It was time to round up the Jedi.

I walked into the bedroom dry, but naked. Thrawn was sitting on the bed, looking at his datapad. He looked up when I walked in, meeting my eyes, completely ignoring my naked body. I could tell he'd heard the same news I'd received. He looked disturbed, the muscles in his face tight, his shoulder's ever so slightly curved.

"Hello," he said, his voice normal, but a bit strained. He eyed me carefully, suspiciously.

"I love you," I said.

"I love you too," he said, putting down his datapad, standing up, and stepping toward me. He had been preparing to work out, I saw. He reached me and extended a hand out to stroke my cheek. His eyes filled with concern. Does he understand this would push me toward action? It seems so.

I kissed him then. His arms wrapped around me and lifted me up to him. My legs wrapped around his waist and I held his face in my hands. His lips felt hot against mine, like I'd been drained of the blood in my face. I was beginning to lose myself in him, so when he dropped me on the bed, I tensed, thinking he was dropping me to the ground. He crouched down and looked at me for a long time. I wondered what he saw, what he was reading from my expression. The next thing I knew, he kissed me, so lightly it was almost painful.

I got the feeling he was about to say something, about to argue with me, as if he knew what I was planning. My chest felt tight, and his eyes softened slightly. His hand trailed down my face, and I saw pain in his expression.