Chapter 7 - The Space Station

Eight months on the Chimaera

———

I was sparring with Kellchri when my wristlink chimed. He grinned widely. "Looks like I'll just have to take you down later, Commander," he teased. I gave him a sly smile of my own as I clicked the button.

"Lilya," I said, trying to regain my breath.

"This is Thrawn. Please report to my office," his even voice rang out.

Kellchri threw his hands up. "Ah, mission time," he said in anticipation.

"No, it will just be Commander Lilya this time, but I appreciate the enthusiasm Aller." I gave him a curious look.

"Do I have time to shower? We've been dueling."

"You'll have time after I brief you." Okay, so my team wasn't coming, yet Thrawn was in some sort of hurry.

Five minutes later I entered his office to see him and Eli Vanto standing by his desk, talking. They turned as I entered, and I noticed both men eying my still sweaty post-workout appearance, though they both kept their gaze respectful. It instantly made me respect the two men more.

"Thank you for your speed, Commander." When I nodded, he continued. "Normally, this is a task the Lieutenant Commander and I would handle, but I am afraid I must leave the Chimaera for a couple days. We're currently approaching an abandoned space station. We have found no records of it, yet scans have deemed it fully functional. There are no lifeforms aboard. I'd like for the two of you to go check it out."

Well, that's odd. Clearly, he didn't anticipate any danger, or he'd have my team or a squad of stormtroopers come along. I glanced over at Eli. I liked him, and more than that, I trusted him. Alarm bells weren't exactly ringing in my head, but I had the feeling I was missing something important. I looked back at Thrawn.

"Is there anything in particular we're searching for?"

"No, not exactly. But I'd like you to retrieve as much data as possible." I tried to analyze his expression, but it was as neutral as ever.

"I do apologize, Lilya," he said, bowing his head slightly. "I'd prefer to stay and go over the mission further, but I must be on my way. Eli should be able to answer further questions."

He turned to Eli. "I will return in two days." He gave us both another nod, and was gone. He really was in a hurry. I looked over at Eli, who was smiling lightly at me.

"Yeah, he's something else. Why don't you go get cleaned up and meet me in the hanger in thirty?"

———

Eli took the pilots chair as I sat in the co-pilots chair, strapping in. "You don't like the Admiral, do you?" he asked, catching me off guard. I glanced over at him.

"I have...moral issues," I said carefully. He chuckled, again surprising me.

"I get that. But he does too, you know." I looked out the view port. I hadn't seen any moral conflict within him, and I was good at reading people. Eli, on the other hand, did seem to face inner conflict occasionally. It was part of the reason I liked him. I'd eaten with him many times in the cafeteria, and I found him to be a genuinely good guy.

He continued after a moment of thought. "And yet... you like Tarkin."

"No," I said flatly without thinking. I resisted the urge to cringe at my confession. His head turned toward me in surprise.

"No? We were told you were his right hand man, that you were only loyal to him. Rumor has it he called you his fist."

"I'm good at my job," I said without pride. I meant it in more ways than one. I didn't know if the dramatics was a part of Organa's rumor mill, or if it was my actually my deception, but I wasn't surprised people thought I was a Tarkin loyalist. I thought about it for a second. "I do think he was beginning to like me, though." I chuckled a bit at the thought. Tarkin, liking anyone? Not likely. But he did trust me, which is wrapped in irony, since my whole mission is to take down his glorious Empire.