Nightmares

It was 3 in the morning and I couldn't stop worrying about her. We were forced into separate rooms, even after a thorough amount of explaining. My suspicions were proven correct when I heard an ear splitting scream. I immediately ran straight to where Kaira was sleeping, or at least trying to sleep. I ran straight to her bed, where she was kicking and screaming, but was held back by Cole.

"Let me go!" I yelled. I knew how bad her nightmares were, and I knew that with her nightmares, if she was hurt badly enough in the dream, she could be hurt in real life, and if she was killed in the dream, she would be killed in real life.

"NO! You'll get hurt." he explained, still holding me by the wrists.

"I'm the only one who can help her, as I mentioned before and as you so graciously chose to ignore."

She let out another scream and this time I noticed a pretty nasty cut forming on her forehead.

"What's happening, why is she bleeding?" Cole demanded, tightening his grip on my wrists.

"Whatever happens in the dream happens in real life. If she is cut in the dream, she is cut in real life, if she dies in the dream..." I trail off.

"She dies in real life..." Cole finishes.

"Exactly, now let me go."

He finally complies and the second he lets go enough, I rip my hands out of his grasp, not even letting him let go fully and rush to her bedside, dodging her kicking and grabbing her hands.

"Shhh it's ok Kaira, you've got to wake up." I say in a soothing voice, stroking her hair and gently wiping at the cut on her forehead with my sleeve. She screamed again. It pained me to see her like this. I shook her gently and continued to whisper to her. Finally her eyes fluttered open but they were fogged over as if she was still in the dream.

"Akinli... Akinli... Akinli!" she screamed, frantically looking around for me.

"I'm right here, look at me, you're fine, I'm right here, everything is going to be okay." I told her. Once she saw me, she immediately broke down into sobs and leaned into me, pulling me closer.

"I'm staying here for the rest of the night." I said to Cole

"No, you're not. I don't want you here when this happens again." He said

"It won't happen, if I'm there with her. Don't you get it?"

"Nope, sorry, go back to your room."

"Not happening, sorry." I said as I walked around to the other side of the bed.

"What are you doing?"

"Going to sleep."

"Go to your own room, NOW!"

"Akinli..." Kaira whispered.
"I'm right here, I'm not going anywhere." I said as I looked Cole dead in the eyes.

"Akinli it hurts." She said as a single tear ran down her cheek.

"I know, I'm right here." I whispered as I continued to dab at the cut on her forehead. She grabbed my free hand tighter and another tear fell.

"Ok Cole you are free to leave now, I've got it from here." I said, not looking away from Kaira. I heard him sigh and walk out of the room, closing the door behind him.

"Please stay." She said, barely making a sound, but it was enough for me to hear.

After sufficiently cleaning her wound, I walked around to the other side of the bed and got in with her, holding her close to me.

"I'm right here, I'm not going anywhere, I promise" I told her as I held her tighter.