Dancing in the rain

73 pages in and the door bursts open. I looked up from the book that I had just started that morning to see Austin. He stood, leaning against my bedroom doorway. He looked out of breath.

"It's raining." He said, coming over to sit on my bed.

I looked over at my window and sure enough, little droplets of rain were falling from the sky. I giggled, "Is that all you came up here to say?" I asked, putting my book under my pillow and turning to face him.

"It's raining. Do you want to go outside?" He asked, his hazel eyes staring at me.

"And do what, exactly?" I asked.

"Just... hang out. Outside. In the rain."

I looked down at my dress. It was my favorite day dress; Mesh puff sleeves, light green skirt and bodice that shimmered yellow in the sun. The most perfect floral design was draped across the chest and down to the waist. "Ok! I'll get my coat." I said, and jumped up to go to my closet.

Austin pulled my arm so that I flopped back down on the bed. "No coat." He said, grinning.

"But then my dress will get wet!" I argued.

"So what if it gets wet. No coat." He replied.

I gave him a confused look but agreed anyway. He took my arm and led me outside my room, down the stairs, past the kitchen and turned to the back door. He took me outside, just enough so that the top of the door frame was just barely covering us. I had the most beautiful garden, in my opinion. Pink roses covered most of the grass, two massive cherry trees on either end. A small bridge sat in the middle, covered in moss and little, colorful flowers.

Austin gave me a little nudge into the garden. I stumbled forward a bit and stopped when I felt the cold rain against my bare arms. I could hear Austin laughing from the semi-safe doorway. I glanced back at him, a massive smile on his face, matching mine.

I turned back to the garden and embraced the rain. I did a little twirl and my dress flew around me. I ran back to Austin, grabbed his arm and pulled him into the rain. He gasped as I did when the rain hit his face.

Austin took my hand, stood back a bit and told me, "Do that twirl again."

I twirled and yet again, my dress flew around me. This time however, little raindrops flew off of it, flying into mine and Austin's face. Austin led me to the bridge, and we walked up it, engrossed in the rain. His hand still in mine, he pulled me close to his chest. I could feel his heartbeat against my chest.

"May I have this dance, M'lady?" He asked, placing his hands on my hips. I nodded, and placed my wet hands on his shoulders.

We swayed side to side for a bit before he took my hand and spun outward. I then twirled back into his arms and he dipped me back a bit, my leg in the air and rain drenching my already-wet face. I came up, turned back to him and we resumed our original positions.

Austin leaned in to me and put his wet lips on mine. We stood there, kissing in the rain like nothing else mattered in the world. Everything around me turned to mush. All I was aware of were Austin's lips on mine and the rain falling all over us. I was like a fairytale.

He pulled back, looked deep into my eyes and said, "I love you, Alyssa."

I gasped and pulled back, surprised by the remark. It took me a moment to collect myself but when I did, I leaned back into the safeness of his chest and whispered, "I love you too."

We stood there, lost in each other for what felt like hours. After a while, I didn't even notice the rain had stopped and the sun had come out.