One bed

Trees. That's all I see all around me, just trees and darkness. The new moon isn't doing much in terms of lighting up the forest. I can barely see Liam in front of me and strain to catch up with him, not daring to look back.

"I see light!" He exclaims. Looking back at me for a split second before continuing to run towards this supposed light.

He slows down his pace as we get to the light, which I can now see looks like it is from a fire. We both struggle to catch our breath before walking the rest of the way towards the warm light.

Soon enough, I see a small stone and wooden hut looking thing with smoke coming out the chimney. We walk to the door and I take the ancient wooden knocker and knock it three times on the door. Footsteps and shuffling come from the other side of the door and an old lady opens the door, and when I say old I mean old, she looks like she's almost a hundred years old if not already.

"Oh hello there, what are two young fellows like yourselves doing here at this time at night? You must be freezing, come in, come in." The old lady says with a smile while ushering us into her home.

I looked at Liam waiting for him to answer, he was always the more talkative one.

"We were hiking and got lost, we saw some kind of animal and sprinted for our lives... were more of the city kind of people." He says, glancing at me occasionally.

"Oh well you must be hungry then, here I just finished making a stew and some cookies. Please sit." she says.

We sat down at her small table and I almost groaned at how good it felt to be sitting down. I looked over at Liam to see him looking relieved from the tiredness as well.

"There you are, please eat, i'll go prepare a bed for you two." the old lady says as she walks away into another room.

"Did she just say bed?" Liam asks me quietly.

"Yeah... what's wrong with that- oh, a bed, not beds." I say to him while looking into the room that the lady disappeared to. I sigh and bring a spoon of stew up to my mouth and slouch in my spot at the amazing taste of it. "Oh this is delicious, I haven't eaten since almost breakfast."

Liam looks at it hesitantly and brings the spoon to his nose to smell it, most likely for poisons. When it passes the smell test, he brings it to his mouth and has almost the same reaction as me when it hits his tongue. "You're right, that is some damn good stew."

I take a bite of a cookie and smile as I chew on it. It's a little chewy for my liking, but still delicious.

"Alright there you go. There is a small bathroom, if you need, second door on your left. The bedroom is right across the hall from that." The old lady says as she walks to a rocking chair in the corner of the house.

I get up from my seat and walk straight to the bathroom. When I'm done I walk to the bedroom and see Liam staring at the bed with his arms crossed as if he's trying to solve a riddle. It's not a big bed, two people could fit in if they squished together, which we will not be doing.

"I'll sleep on the floor, you get the bed." He says as he makes his way to a blank spot on the floor.

"No you absolutely are not. I am not letting you sleep on that cold floor." I say to him sternly while mocking him and crossing my arms.

"And why not?"

"We have been running all day, and when we were not running we were walking. Either you sleep on the bed or you don't sleep at all."

"So then I guess I won't be sleeping." He says while leaning against the wall stubbornly.

I walk to the bed and plop down, it feels so great to have my feet off the ground. I close my eyes and exhale loudly as I burrow myself into the sheets. "This is the most comfortable bed I've slept in in a long time. So much better than the forest floor."

"Ok shush and go to sleep. You need to rest if we're going to continue tomorrow."

I roll my eyes at him and roll over onto my side. I close my eyes and sleep easily overtakes me.

When I wake up the next morning, I feel a sort of warmth beside me. I look over and see Liam there beside me, asleep. I smile to myself as I watch him there. He looks so... calm. I roll towards him and he opens his eyes to look at me. At first he looks surprised, but then he gives in and pulls me towards him so that my back is against his chest, his arms holding me captive in his embrace.

"Thought you didn't want to sleep, let alone in bed with me." I say to him.

"Oh shut up or I'll push you onto the floor." he replies, with his usual wit.

"Whatever you say."