Angry love confession

I tried my best to hide the letter as I entered the castle. I needed to make sure Cleo didn't see it... it would break her.

I put the letter in my pocket and headed to my room. I was one room away when I bumped into something - or rather, someone.

"Oh hello." Cleo said.

"Hi, yeah ok." I muttered, trying to squeeze past her.

"So... how'd it go?" She said, blocking my path.

"Fine. Can I go to my room now." I didn't really say it as a question, more of a statement. 

"Ok..." Her eyes drifted to the floor, "What's that?"

I looked down and saw the letter on the floor next to my shoe. Shit.

"Nothing. It's nothing." I picked it up and put it in my pocket. I pushed her a bit harder than before and sped walked to my room.

"Kane get back here! Kane?" Cleo yelled, walking after me.

I went into my room and slammed the door in her face.

"Kane, you open this door right now! Come on, tell me what that was! We're supposed to be working together, how am I supposed to work with you if you don't tell me anything!" She screamed through the door.

I sat at my desk, staring out the window and the little raindrops falling from the sky. I tried to drown out her yelling.

"You promised you wouldn't do this anymore. You promised you would tell me everything you find out. You promised." I heard a break in her voice.

One by one they fall down the window. Slowly but surely.

"Kane open the door."

The sky is gray, filled with stormy clouds.

"Kane you promised."

One raindrop doesn't make it all the way and stops halfway down the window.

"I'm coming in." I hear the doorknob click and the door flings open to reveal a very frustrated Cleo.

"Oh hello, Cleo." I say calmly, turning towards her.

She slammed the door shut and stomped towards me. I put the letter in my pocket and she let out a scream.

"WHY?" She yelled, "Why? Why? Why? What did I ever do to you? Why don't you tell me anything?" She paced back and forth in front of me. "We're supposed to solve this together. Together. What part of that is so hard for you to comprehend?"

"Nothing..." I mumbled under my breath.

"If it's nothing... if it really is nothing... then explain to me. Explain to me why every single time I try to work with you, every single time you come back with information, every single time I make an effort to make this work... why do you push me away?"

"I don't know." I said, not meeting her eyes.

"YOU DON'T KNOW? YOU DON'T KNOW WHY YOU KEEP SECRETS? WHY YOU COME BACK SO LATE AND DON'T EXPLAIN WHY IN THE MORNING? YOU DONT KNOW WHY WE HAVENT SOLVED THIS STUPID CASE YET? YOU DON'T KNOW?" Cleo spat in my face, throwing her hands everywhere, tears falling down her cheeks, her face red.

I stared at her. I looked at her eyes. Her sea green eyes that you could get lost in which were now wet and covered in tears because of me. Her chocolate brown hair that bounced around her when she walked. I thought of her smile... I hadn't seen that in a while.

"Damn it." I whispered under my breath.

"Excuse me? What did you say?" She asked, moving closer to me.

I stared at her, trying to think of how to say it, until she started yelling at me again.

"YOU TELL ME RIGHT NOW WHAT YOU SAID. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THE SECRETS OF THE LIES OF EVERYTHING. I CAN'T WORK WITH SOMEONE WHO IS CONSTANTLY-"

"I LOVE YOU!" I yelled at the top of my lungs. Cleo stepped back in shock.

"You what?"

"I love you. And if that's too much for you, then fine. I'll leave. I'll find someone to replace me. All those late nights? I was trying to figure this out by myself," She opened her mouth to interrupt but I stopped her with a raise of my hand, "This letter..." I held up the letter, "This letter is proof about your father. I couldn't show you. I knew it would break your heart." I felt tears falling down my face.

She stared at me, tears still streaming down her red face.

"So there you have it. I love you. But I'll leave... I can't be around someone I love but I know hates me. Goodbye, Cleo."