1k Special - Chapter 4

Training with Reagan is exhausting. I'm not sure what he is preparing me for, because everytime I ask, he refuses to tell me, but I know it's something big. He teaches me to use my newly acquired fire powers, he teaches me how to use my dagger with more ease and agility than I could ever imagine.

I learn more from Reagan in hours than I have from my dad in 18 years.

He also teaches me how to hunt for food. Which animals are meant to be eaten and which could kill you if you ate them. He shows me how to climb trees with the speed of a monkey and what plants can be eaten and which are poisonous.

On the second day of walking we are faced with a Lonstrain; A ferocious creature double the size of me and has claws like a bear and teeth like a shark.

"Ok, time to put your training to use." Reagan says, nodding at the Lonstrain.

I try not to show my fear as the Lonstrain comes closer and Reagan backs out of the scene.

I shake out my hands and pull out my dagger, preparing for anything. Well, almost anything. Apparently I'm not exactly ready for it to open its mouth and fire to start forming in the back of its throat. My eyes go wide as I dodge out of the way right before I get turned into a Kindra-kabob.

"That would have been great to know maybe. Last time I checked, I would not like for my whole body to be cooked." I call out to Reagan, knowing he can hear me.

I get the blissful response of silence, echoing through the forest. I focus back on the beast as I reach inside me for whatever tendril of power is willing to show itself at this moment in time. I close my eyes for a split second and next thing I know, I'm on the ground, winded, with a stinging pain on my arm. I get up as fast as I can and shoot a blast of fire out of me as if it was a natural instinct. I then realise that I didn't aim. At all. I am about to turn around when I feel another blast of pain on my back and I'm on the ground, once again, with my back now stinging. I'm already planning my funeral as I feel cold air surrounding me and I hear a thud sound close to me.

Thinking it's Reagan who has fallen, I get up as fast as I can and look around on the ground for his body on the ground, never letting my guard down for a second.

"Hey, are you ok?" I hear a voice say from behind me. I jump at the sound and turn around with my dagger raised and aimed right for the face of whoever that voice belongs to. Before I can do anything, someone grabs my wrist, stopping it from going any further. "Kindra," the voice says.

I am snapped out of my daze as I realize who the voice belongs to and let out a breath of relief as I lower my dagger and put it away in its holder. "Yeah, yeah I'm fine."

"You're hurt," Reagan points out, staring at my arm.

"Oh thanks, didn't realize. It's not like I can't feel the gaping wound in my arm and back," I retaliate, staring at him blankly.

Reagan rips off the sleeve of his shirt and wraps it tightly around the gash in my arm. He then looks at my back. "The gash in your back is pretty bad... I'm going to have to lift up your shirt to look at it better..."

I'm in so much pain, it doesn't fully register what needs to happen so I just nod and brace myself for him to tell me just how bad it is. He lifts up the back of my shirt and starts to clean off some of the blood with his other sleeve.

"Have you ever gotten stitches?" Reagan asks.

"No..."

"Well... there's a first time for everything." He says, not helping at all. He rips off a part of my own shirt and tells me to scream into it if needed. Then he reaches into his bag and pulls out a needle and thread. I guess he's been in Bremelan for so long, he has everything needed for every situation. I wonder if he's ever had to stitch himself. He wipes the wound some more, and that alone feels like hell. Reagan doesn't waste anymore time and I scream into the fabric as I feel the needle going into my skin. He continues to sew and I continue to scream. I can faintly hear him telling me it's going to be ok. It sure doesn't feel like it.