1k Special - Chapter 1

"Kindra! Come help your brother with his studies," my mother screams from across the room.

I sigh and walk lazily over to where Liam is sitting slouched over his work. "Yes mother." I call back.

I take all of two steps before I hear, "Shoulders back! Stand like a lady!"

I dramatically correct my posture before making it the rest of the way to my younger brother. I look over his shoulder and see he is doing, yet again, paperwork to prepare him for being king. You see, I am the oldest of four children. You would think I was next in line for the crown, right? Wrong. Apparently it's not the first born that gets the crown, it's the first born son. So here I am, helping my younger brother with preparing to be king even though I have no training whatsoever for any of this myself.

"What do I do for this part?" Liam asks me while pointing to one of the questions on his paper. I look at it and see it is asking a question about convicting a criminal for their crimes.

"Well that's asking you what you would do if a criminal was brought to you, how you would punish them," I explain to him.

"Oh, so if they bring a thief to me, I would have to decide what is to be done with him or her?"

"Exactly. Now here's an example. If a criminal is brought to you and he is said to have stolen a loaf of bread from a stand, how would you punish him?" I ask, sitting down into the chair to his left.

"Um, I would tell him to never do it again and give him work to do." Liam exclaims confidently.

"Good, now if a criminal was brought to you and was said to have killed 5 men and stolen precious jewels from a shop, what would you do?" I look him dead in the eyes and see the fear in them appear.

"Oh, um. I- I don't know. That's a lot that he did, and father would probably say to have him beheaded." He mumbles as he looks down at the paper and starts fiddling with the corner of the sheet nervously.

"Yes, father would do that. But what would you do if a criminal like that was brought to you for a punishment? This isn't about you becoming the next King Hector, it's about you becoming King Liam. So think about it, how would you punish a criminal if he had killed 5 men and stolen some precious jewels from a shop."

He thought for a long minute, staring at the paper and twirling his pen in his fingers. Occasionally his eyebrows would scrunch together and then un-scrunch when he would figure something out. Maybe 3 minutes later he looks at me, and takes a deep breath and says, "I would explain to him that what he did was wrong, I would tell him what had to be done, and then I would have him killed in a private chamber in the dungeons."

I smile at my little brother, seeing the twinkle in his eyes at my approval. "See that right there is what King Liam would do, and that's what you need to focus on. Father might be trying to shape you to be just like him but you need to think about what he is telling you, and you need to think to yourself if it is the right thing to do or if there is a better way to do it. Remember, just because father does it one way doesn't mean that's how it needs to be done. You need to do what you think is right for Relgin."

He nods quickly and turns back to his paper, scribbling his answers onto the paper. "Ok, I think I understand this now, thanks Kindra!"

I ruffle his hair a little bit and turn on my heel, beginning the walk to my bedroom.

When I get there I look at the clock on the wall. Good, it's late enough that I can change into something comfortable for the evening. After fighting my way out of my dress, I change into my night clothes, grab a book, jump into bed and tuck myself under the covers. After reading for about 15 minutes, I hear a timid knock at the door.

"Come in!" I call out as I put my book down.

I see two small blonde heads poke into the room and look around before finding me and coming into the room. I don't even get a chance to move over before my twin younger brothers jump right onto the bed.

"Henry! Take your shoes off if you want to ever come onto my bed again!" I yell at one of them.

"Sorry Kindra..." Henry whispers with his head down as he takes his shoes off and drops them onto the floor.

"And Owen, what did I say about jumping onto my bed, I know full well that this was your idea." I say to the other of the twins.

"Actually no, this time it was Elijah's idea. He said he's gonna be here in a minute, something about getting Liam or something." Sure enough, seconds later two more heads poke into the head and rush to my bed.

"Can we all sleep here? Please, please, please!" Elijah says, blowing his short red hair out of his face.

I pretend to think about it for a second before throwing back the covers for them to crawl in. "Fine, But only for tonight. You guys are getting too old for this."

Next thing I know, and I have four hyper children squished into my bed, leaving me almost no room to breathe. "You're the best!" I hear Owen's little voice call to me from the opposite end of the bed.

"Yeah I know, now go to sleep. You all have lessons early tomorrow." 

~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: *trying to get at least the first chapter out before we hit 1.5k* No but srsly guys thank you so much for 1.4k :')

The whole story isn't finished yet but we are getting there. The next chapter might be out next week, depending on how much writing we get done by then. We want to make sure we have a decent amount ready so you guys don't have to wait for too long for the next chapters, but we wanted to get the first chapter out because its been a while since we posted. (the logic might be flawed but just go with it lol)

Anyways, we hope you enjoyed the first chapter of the 1k special :))