1k Special - Chapter 3

When my eyes adjust, I finally get a good look around me and see the most beautiful meadow I have seen in my life. The trees are tall and green, the bushes are lush, the flowers are the most beautiful, vibrant, picturesque things in the world. I get up off my ass and walk around to admire this perfect world I have somehow managed to get into. I see a large mountain in the distance. I instinctively look at the map in my pocket, and notice a mountain that looks exactly like the one I am looking at in person.

I let out a small gasp when I realize that I am in the world that the map is showing. I look back down at it, squinting at the small details and taking a good look at the large shapes on it. I notice a small clearing on the map, surrounded by trees, with a mountain to the north. I can see where I am and try to find what else could be around me.

After about 10 minutes or so, I come to the conclusion that I am very close to a lake of sorts. I look back down at the map and see a small, very faint arrow pointing towards the mountain, and come to the conclusion that I should head that way.

As I'm walking, I take in all the animals and plants around me. As I get deeper into the forest, I notice that the normal trees have turned into these willow type trees with glowing bulbs with a sort of blue tint hanging from the branches. As it gets darker firefly looking flies come out and light a path. I make sure to keep looking down so that I don't trip on any branches. This gives me a chance to see a bunch of small frogs that seem to glow when they croak.

I know I've made a wrong turn when all of the lights from the trees, fireflies and frogs suddenly go out. The forest becomes eerily quiet and I can barely see where or what I'm stepping on. I'm turning around, trying to figure out how to get back to the glowing path, when I hear a growling of sorts coming from my left... no wait, my right... Wait, now it's behind me... Ok I am 99% sure that it's all around me now... I slowly move backwards and bump into something that is as hard as a rock but has fur like a bear. I turn around and see a paw almost the same size as me coming down towards me. It picks me up and brings me towards its open mouth and before I can register what is happening, the creator turns to ice and my body gets extremely cold and numb.

"What the...?" I look down and see a boy with messy black hair who looks about my age, leaning against a tree with what looks like a bored look on his face.

"You gonna stay up there all night or are you coming down?" He asks, looking up at me. His hair falls out of his face and I catch a glimpse of his ears. They're pointed, like an elf.

I try to squirm my way out, but I'm too cold and the beast is holding me extremely tight. "I'm trying, but it's kind of difficult considering I'm frozen in place..." I trail off as I notice steam coming from inside of the beast's hand. I squirm once more and realize I have a bit more space to move around. I look back down at the boy to see if he's noticed what's happening but he's still leaning on the tree with that same bored look, picking at his nails. I groan and keep squirming, trying to make more space so I can get down. After a bit, the smoak turns into flames and I fall out of the beast's hand, landing perfectly on my feet.

"Impressive." Is the boy's only comment.

"What just happened? And why are your ears pointed?" I ask. I then look back up at the beast and ask another question, "How did that... thing, whatever it is, just freeze all of a sudden... and how did it melt... Also, who are you?

The boy sighs as if I'm a child he doesn't have time for. "My ears are pointed because that's just what happens when you enter Bremelan... That thing is a Bemola." I give him a weird look; I've never once in my life heard of a 'Bemola'. He sighs again, "a Bemola is a creature that lives only in Bremelan. They are very rare but pretty dangerous if you don't know how to protect yourself. They eat everything and that's basically their only goal. Eat. Everything."

"Lovely." I mumble.

"As for how it froze: I did that. And as for how it melted... I'm pretty sure you did that."

"What do you mean 'I did that'? Last time I checked, I can't burn through stuff." I see the boy's eyes drift to wear the necklace with the ruby rests on my chest.

"Pretty sure that is the reason." He says, pointing at it. He then reaches under his shirt collar and pulls out a necklace almost identical to mine. "I have one too, but mine gives me ice powers. Given the fact that you burnt through the ice, I think yours gives you fire powers."

I nod slowly as I try to process everything and piece everything together. "Wait... does that mean that my ears are also pointed?" I reach up to my ears and sure enough, there is a point. "That's so cool-" I'm cut off by a faint but clear scratching sound, coming from somewhere in the forest. "Did you hear that?"

"Yeah, but it was pretty faint so it's probably... very far away."

"But I heard it so clearly..."

"That also happens in Bremelan. All of your senses get heightened and you get a sort of sixth sense. Kind of like a peter tingle." The boy chuckles to himself at his reference, which is kind of really adorable.

After a bit of awkward silence, I take out the map to try to figure out where on earth I ended up but stop when I notice the boy staring at the map like it's made of gold.

"What are you looking at?"

"Your map. Where'd you get that from?"

I look at him suspiciously, "I found it..."

"Where? How? When?" He inquires.

I look at him in confusion; why does he care so much about an old map? And what kind of power do I now possess by having it? "Why should I trust you; I don't even know your name. For all I know you could be a serial killer."

"A serial killer? I literally just saved you." He says, rolling his eyes. "Reagan. That's my name, if you must know. And I'm curious about that map because I've been searching for it for the whole time I've been here."

"Ok, Reagan, why is this map so important to you?" I ask.

"Wow, so you really are clueless, aren't you?" I give him a slight nod and a look of amusement appears on his face. "So that map leads to basically the most powerful jewel in all of Relgin and Bremelan. It's supposed to do some great magic thing. Also, it's the only way to get out of here. I've dedicated the better half of my life to searching for it."

I let the new information process before coming to a decision, "You seem to know a lot more about Bremelan, and you clearly want this stone... and I need this stone to get back home... So do you want to come with me?"

Reagan smirks, "Why should I trust you?" He says, copying my words, "I don't even know your name."

"Kindra."

~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: So sorry for the slow updates. I swear we have lots of the story written, we just want to make sure we have enough so that THIS doesn't happen but here we are. Ok we promise the next one will come within a week (a full week because baby steps). 

Hope you enjoyed this chapter:)