4. We met again

Vote, comment, and follow.

----------------

Z O E

I sat in front of a canvas board, staring at nowhere. A large window opened into a balcony as the rays of evening sun sprawled in the whole room giving it an orange glow. There was a time when I used to admire things the way they were but now everything has changed. My life was not like before. I'm not the person I used to be.

I've become Zoe Miller; the person who doesn't forgive, who doesn't smile, who doesn't show empathy, who doesn't care, who doesn't trust, and who doesn't love. All she knows is hate, fight, mercilessness, killing people and making them suffer.

There were no emotions in my eyes, they left me years ago. I turned to mix the colors in the palette before spreading them on canvas. It felt ironic, how I don't know emotions but can draw them.

I looked at the time, there were still two hours for a party that Brown's enterprise has held tonight. I placed the paintbrush back into the holder before wiping my hands and standing up. I walked out of the room before walking to the end of the hallway, to my room.

Opening the door, I entered and the first thing I noticed was the dress neatly placed on my king-sized bed. I walked towards it and stood in front of it as I observed it. A knock on the door interrupted me when I turned to look and found Mr. Taylor standing in the doorframe. He smiled at me and told me the important things about the investors I'll be meeting tonight.

"You seem tired", he spoke and I shook my head. He sighed loudly as he spoke again. "I was worried for you, Zoe. I thought you would come back late but you came home earlier than I thought."

His words reminded me of what happened a few hours ago. I met Ryan. For the first time, I broke my rule of not looking back. I felt hypnotized by him and without thing twice I started walking toward him that even I didn't notice how risky it was to cross the road carelessly. Everything happened at a fast speed and the next moment I found myself in his arms.

He held me close and looked at me with concern through his light brown eyes. His hair fell over his forehead giving him a boyish look. His hold around my waist was gentle as I held his broad shoulders tightly. His face screamed innocence and it ignited something inside me. Whatever it was, I wanted it all to myself.

I shake my head to stop my thoughts and turned to Mr. Taylor. "I'm fine", he nodded and left the room giving me a smile. He always did it. He knew that he would never get it back but still smiled at me. And I felt nothing. Instead, Ryan's smile flashed in front of my eyes.

I've broken my rule for the first time just because of you, Ryan. And I don't regret it.

I thought, glancing at the dress. A few minutes passed, as I stood in front of the mirror. Maids were helping me to get ready as one of them did my hair into a loose updo and the other straightened my dress. Anyone will call me princess the way I looked right now wearing a long black gown with a high slit at my left and a deep v-shaped back that ended just half of the way.

I don't like parties because they are mostly an opportunity for finding the best investors. Walking downstairs, I spotted Mr. Taylor who smiled at me and took my hand before walking toward the car.

I watched a large crowd surrounding the car as I reached the event sight. It was one of the biggest and most expensive hotels. Mr. Taylor got out of the car and walked to my side before opening the back door. I went out of the car and looked around as many reporters and paparazzi surrounded me but Mr. Taylor and other bodyguards were guarding me until I arrived inside.

This was the fame I got with my own hard work years. And I was thankful to that person who gave me inspiration and gave me the love I craved back then. But now everything has changed.

I entered the hall and everyone looked at me while they whispered in each other ears like cowards. I smirked internally knowing how much my presence can make them fear me. It satisfied me. It made me want it more.

A large dance stage in the center of the hall and several tables surrounded it. I walked to the main table as everyone greeted me. I scanned the hole when I noticed Mason walking in with three other people and it caught my attention. If Mason is here then Ryan would be here too, right?

I watched Mason walking toward his dad but there was no sign of Ryan. Maybe he didn't come. I turned my attention back as I picked up the champagne glass and sipped it. A man in his forties came to me as he introduced me to an investor that was looking forward to collaborating with my company.

Almost ten minutes later, the party began and everyone was enjoying the evening except me. I just wanted to go out. I rolled my eyes and turned to the door when suddenly, it opened and he entered. He caught all of my attention without even trying and I stared at him like a creep.

He was wearing a black tuxedo with a black shirt underneath covering his muscular body, his hair styled neatly as they almost covered his forehead. I licked my lips as I stared at him from head to toe, he looked utterly handsome. I saw him approaching Mason as he smiled widely at him. Ryan laughed at whatever others told him.

Hot. I thought and smirked tilting my head to the side before taking a sip of champagne. I noticed a few people dancing on the stage and I smirked at my own idea as I placed the glass on the table and started walking toward him. My innocent savior.

Mason was the first to notice me and from the corner of my eye, I saw Ryan getting tensed. "Welcome, Miss Miller. It's nice to meet you again", he spoke.

"Nice to meet you too. Call me, Zoe." I said as he raised a brow. "Isn't it too casual?" Mason asked.

"I think it's too formal", I replied before turning my attention towards Ryan who averted his eyes away from me, making me internally chuckle at his failed attempt. "We met again, Ryan", for the first time I felt amusement forming inside me. He smiled and nodded, looking directly into my eyes. I liked it.

"Ryan, if you don't mind-" I paused as he looked at me confused before I moved my hand in front of him, my palm facing him. "May I have this chance?" I asked as his eyes widened slightly. He looked at Mason who was shocked himself and I chuckled internally. I shake my hand in front of him, catching his attention once again.

"I'm waiting for you to hold my hand, Ryan."

Thank you for reading

Please vote for the chapter. Ily.