First Day of 3rd Year

Emma's POV

So the dementors would be guarding the school until Black was caught. Also Hagrid is now our Care of Magical Creatures professor and the man from the train is our new Defense professor. Hermione and I got a time turner each before the start of term feast from McGonagall. Given strict orders to use it only for studying and not to be seen.

Anyway it's the fist day of year and we were just given our time tables. Hermione and I were talking in low whispers about which classes to go to first. "Emma, they've messed up your timetables. Look they've got you down for about ten subjects a day. There isn't enough time" Ron tells us.

"We'll manage" Hermione assures him.

"Besides we've sorted it out for McGonagall" I add as I grab breakfast.

"But look" Ron says laughing. "See this morning? Nine o'clock, Divination. And underneath, nine o'clock, Muggle Studies. And underneath that, Arithmancy, nine o'clock. I mean, I know you're good, Hermione, but no one's that good. Besides Emma just got her sight back. How're you both supposed to be in three classes at once?" he asks us.

"Don't be ridiculous" I tell him.

"Of course we won't be in three classes at once" Hermione adds. "Pass the marmalade" she says.

"But..." Ron protests.

"Oh, Ron, what's it to you if our timetables are a bit full?" Hermione demands. "Like Emma said, we've fixed it all with Professor McGonagall" she states. I pass her the marmalade and she thanks me. Hagrid arrived and spoke to us briefly before leaving.

We went to Divination first as it was the class the boys had. A knight showed us the way. We had to climb through a trap door to get into the classroom. I sat at a table with Hermione. Ron and Harry at the table beside ours. "My name is Professor Trelawney. You may not have seen me before. I find that descending too often into the hustle and bustle of the main school clouds my Inner Eye" the professor tells us.

"So you have chosen to study Divination, the most difficult of all magical arts. I must warn you at the outset that if you do not have the Sight, there is very little I will be able to teach you. . . Books can take you only so far in this field" she explains. I suppress a giggle at the expression on Hermione's face. She looked startled at the news that books wouldn't be much help in this subject. "Many witches and wizards, talented though they are in the area of loud bangs and smells and sudden disappearances, are yet unable to penetrate the veiled mysteries of the future. It is a Gift granted to few" she states.

She told us we'd be doing tea leaves today. We'd drink a cup of tea until only the dregs remain. Swill these around the cup three times with the left hand, then turn the cup upside down on its saucer, wait for the last of the tea to drain away, then give your cup to your partner to read.  They would interpret the patterns using pages five and six of Unfogging the Future.

I gave my cup to Hermione and she gave me hers. "Well if I'm reading this correctly you'll have a busy year and have much success" I tell her.

"Same with you, but you'll also have love apparently" she tells me.I blush slightly thinking of Draco. "You already like someone?" she asks me surprised.

"No, I mean I don't know" I tell her. Suddenly Professor Trelawney examines Harry's cup. Said he had the grim in it. Which is a death omen. But I doubt he'll die anytime soon. After class Hermione and I went somewhere private to go back in time to do Arithmancy. Then did it again for Muggle Studies before going to Transfiguration.

Where Professor McGonagall told us how Trelawney predicts the death of one student every year. It's how she likes to great a new class apparently. Knew we didn't have to worry. We then had lunch before going to Hagrid's for our first Care of Magical Creatures lesson. Which turned out to be with Slytherins.

Once we all gathered Hagrid took us to a paddock. He told the others how to open their books and brought out a Hippogriff. He was  stormy grey colour and his name was Buckbeak. I went to greet him first with Harry. We even got to ride him. By the time we got back we saw Hagrid had brought out some more hippogriffs. We all split into groups learning how to approach them and got to pat them.

Draco and his goons were with Buckbeak and I had a bad feeling. So watched them closely. When Draco suddenly insulted Buckbeak. It happened in a flash of steely talons; Malfoy let out a high pitched scream and next moment, Hagrid was wrestling Buckbeak back into his collar as he strained to get at Malfoy, who lay curled in the grass, blood blossoming over his robes.

"Easy girl" I say to the hippogriff beside me. The other students had ran out of the paddock. Hagrid demised us and took Draco to the hospital wing. But I couldn't leave the Hippogriffs just yet. I approached Buckbeak slowly and bowed lowly. He bowed back and I approach. "Don't listen to him. You are very handsome" I tell him and he coos happily.

I then left for my next lesson. Which was herebology. Then did homework before dinner.