Feast and Common Room

Emma's POV

Professor McGonagall lead us to a room and told us to wait until she returned. After explianing about the four houses. And how house points work. Coal sat beside me leaning on my leg. He whines lightly. "Don't worry boy, we'll have dinner soon" I assure him. That's the thing about him, he loves his food. But from what I'd read, it's the same with most Labradors.

Suddenly I hear several people scream and Coal growls as I tense up. "It's ok, just a few ghosts" Hermione tells me. I nod my head and pat Coal's head.

"Easy boy, they won't hurt me" I assure him and he relaxes. But I can feel him watching them as I hear them talk.

"My dear Friar, haven't we given Peeves all the chances he deserves? He gives us all a bad name and you know, he's not really even a ghost -- I say, what are you all doing here?" someone asks. Must be one of the ghosts.

"New students" the first ghost says. So he must be the Fat Friar I heard about. Hufflepuffs house ghost. "About to be Sorted, I suppose?" he asks and I nod my head in their general direction. "Hope to see you in Hufflepuff! My old house, you know" he tells us.

"Move along now" I hear Professor McGonagall say. "The Sorting Ceremony's about to start" she states. "Miss Vane come forward please" she says and Coal guides me over to her. "Now, form a line and follow me" she tells the others. She walks away and Coal follows with me beside him. I hear the others follow us. "Wait along hear please" she says and I stop. I feel the others stand around me, but no one in front of me.

Suddenly I hear a male voice start to sing:

"

Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,

But don't judge on what you see,

I'll eat myself if you can find

A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,

Your top hats sleek and tall,

For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat

And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head

The Sorting Hat can't see,

So try me on and I will tell you

Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,

Where dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve, and chivalry

Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,

Where they are just and loyal,

Those patient Hufflepuffs are true

And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw, if you've a ready mind,

Where those of wit and learning,

Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin

You'll make your real friends,

Those cunning folk use any means

To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!

And don't get in a flap!

You're in safe hands (though I have none)

For I'm a Thinking Cap" the sorting hat finishes. The whole hall burst into applause as the hat finished its song. I clap politely before grabbing Coal's harness again.

"When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted" McGonagall tells us. "Abbott, Hannah!" she calls and I hear someone walk over to her and sit down. There's a moments pause.

"HUFFLEPUFF!" the hat shouts. A table to my right cheered and clapped. McGonagall continues to call first years alphabetically. Hermione was placed in Gryffindor along with the Harry Potter and Neville.

"Vane, Emma!" McGonagall calls and Coal guides me forward. He stops and I feel a stall. I let go of him and carefully sit on it. I feel something placed on my head and feel it cover my eyes.

"Ah you are a first for Hogwarts, but are very bright. You care for others and would gladly put yourself in danger to protect them. That shows loyalty and tremendous courage. Better be, Gryffindor!" the hat shouts. It's removed and I hear cheers. I grab Coal's harness hoping off of the stool.

"Hi, I'm Imogen Bryne. One of Gryffindors prefects" a girl says. She leads us to Gryffindors table and I sit down. Coal crawls under the table. The sorting ceremony soon ends with Blaise Zabini being placed in Slytherin. The feast begins.

"Emma, there's a bowl of food for Coal. Do you want me to feed him?" Hermione asks me.

"Yes please, make sure he sits and waits" I tell her. I hear her do so and smile. "Can you please prepare my plate? Anything is fine as long as there's no carrot as I'm allergic to them" I explain.

"Of course" she says and I soon hear a plate placed in front of me. I find the utensils and start to eat the food. "Do you want dessert?" Hermione asks me.

"Only if there is treacle tart" I tell her.

"There is" she tells me and gets me a slice.

"Hi, my name is George. My twin and I were wondering why you have dog" a boy says.

"He is my guide dog, I am blind" I explain.

"Really? Well if you ever need a guide. Ask for Fred and George Weasley" he tells me.

"I will" I say with a smile. The feast ends and the headmaster gives a speech. We sang the school song. Prefects then lead us to out common rooms. Imogen stays close to me to make sure Coal and I don't fall on the trick step.

"Password?" a woman asks.

"Caput Draconis" a boy says.

"That's Percy Weasley, he's the other Hogwarts prefect" Imogen tells me and I nod my head. SHe leads me into the common room.

"Gather 'round here. Welcome to the Gryffindor Common Room. Boys' dormitories, upstairs and down to your left. Girls, the same on your right. You'll find that your belongings have already been brought up" Percy explains. Imogen leads me to my dorm room and bed. She wishes me a good night and leaves. I got ready for bed and remove Coal's harness. I crawl into bed and fall into a peaceful sleep.

A/N

Picture above of the first years entering the great fall and picture on the external link of the girls dorm room.