[16] Welcome to the Playground

Prim's Point of View

It's Friday now. My sister keeps pacing the house worrying about something, muttering about homecoming and that stupid book 'Hunger Games'. It's really annoying.

It's just after school on this lovely Friday afternoon, the weekend stretches out in front of me. My crappy hand-me-down cell phone rings in my pocket as I grab a Sprite from the fridge. I flip open the fragile little phone.

"Hey, Prim!" Rue's voice comes from the other side of the phone.

"Hiya!" I respond, attempting to open my soda quietly and failing.

"I'll meet you at the park, okay?" Rue says, catching me off guard.

"O-Okay. I'll be there in ten." I sigh, trying to find Katniss to tell her I'll be out.

" 'Kay! See ya then!" Rue hung up. I sighed, what's up with her?

"Katniss!" I yelled through the house, closing my phone.

"What?" Katniss sounded irritated as she walked into the room.

"I'm meeting Rue at the park, I'll be home before it's dark." I said, unintentionally rhyming. Katniss simply nodded before darting off muttering to herself again.

I tuck my phone inside my pocket and grab a pink and white striped sweatshirt before leaving. The park was in the exact center of me and Rue's house, and it's also about two blocks from Rory's and probably five or six blocks from Maddie's. So basically, you go to the park and you can see anyone.

Walking along the sidewalk, I can't help but shiver slightly. The crisp fall air goes right through my thin sweatshirt. I walk the two and a half blocks to the park, which is covered in orange and red leaves.

I almost instantly find Rue, who stands with Maddie, Caroline, Jim. And Rory.

"Prim!" Rue squeals as she jumps over to me. I almost get crushed by her, not because of her body but by the giant squeeze of a hug she gives me.

"Um, hi." I choke out, barely able to breath with Rue squishing me. "I can has oxygen?"

"Oh, sorry!" Rue laughs. "I found these four here, so I decided to get you over here too!"

"Helloooo!" Maddie smiles, giving me a small finger-y wave. Caroline scowls at me for whatever reason, and Jim waves and me silently.

"Hey Prim." Rory says to me, smiling widely.

"Hey guys." I greet all of them at once.

"Come on, let's go on the swings!" Rue says, before hopping off towards the playground. Jim laughs and follows after her, the rest of us quickly follow.

Rue's already on a swing by time we get there, Jim quickly hops onto the one next to her. There's one normal swing left which Caroline quickly takes, leaving me Maddie and Rory with two kiddie swings and one of those wierd plastic ones with handles and stuff. Rory attempts to get into the kiddie swing, but he manages to get his butt stuck, luckily he didn't try to put his legs in the holes.

"Help! My butt! It's stuck!" Rory says over-dramatically, obviously amused with the little predicament he got himself into. I laugh, Rory's tall body looked funny scrunched into a kiddie swing.

Maddie takes the plastic swinging thingy, and I climb onto the kiddie swing but instead of sitting in it I stand on the bottom of it.

Rue and Jim swing really high up, Caroline simply glares at everyone, Maddie makes loud hoops and hollers as she pretends the plastic thing is a horse, Rory laughs at Maddie, and I laugh at both Maddie and Rory.

Rue hops off the swing and flies through the air, landing skillfully on her feet. Jim attempted the same thing, but it didn't turn out as well. He totally body slammed the grass, causing everyone to burst out in a little fit of laughter. Jim flopped onto his back, chuckling at his epic fail as well, he seemed fine except that his face was now covered in grass.

"You okay there, Jimmy?" Rue laughed, offering him a hand up. After a quick moment of looking at Rue's hand, he accepted the help and with a evil laugh he pulled Rue onto the ground next to him. We all erupted into another round of laughter as Jim and Rue rolled on the ground laughing, seriously.

After a minute we finally stopped laughing and Jim stood, then offered Rue a hand up. Rue took his hand and stood up, smiling at him. Of everything I could've thought at that moment, the only thing that crossed my mind was 'They'd be a cute couple'.

I hop off the swing, stumbling but landing on my feet. Maddie got off the plastic thingy, and we both somehow managed to get Rory's butt out of the kiddie swing. Caroline stood there with her arms crossed.

"Carolinnnnnnnneeeeeeeeee!" Maddie said in a sing song voice. "You need to smile more!"

"No." Caroline said bluntly.

"Come on!!" Maddie said loudly, grabbing Caroline's arm and skipping towards the playground. Rue quickly linked arms with Jim and they both skipped after them. I looked over at Rory, who offered me his elbow, which I linked my arm with, grinning. We skipped over to them, me laughing.

Rue and Jim were playing on the seesaw, trying to buck each other off. Maddie was attempting to get Caroline to play on the slide, without much luck. Rory hopped over to the playset with the very wobbly bridge, I followed behind him. He hopped on the bridge, making it bounce up and down, I laughed as I attempted not to fall.

Rory stopped for a moment, letting me regain my balance. "I'm glad you came." Rory said suddenly, catching me by surprise. He seemed to notice what he said, then blushed slightly. I smiled.

"I'm glad I came too." I said, making Rory look back up at me and grin.

"It'd be better if it was just us though. Then I'd be able to talk to you more." Rory said, then abruptly stopped, seemingly just realizing he had said that aloud. He turned red and looked at his feet, undoubtedly mentally scolding himself for saying that.

"We could come here sometime, just us. I'd like that." I reassured him. Though he was still looking at his feet I could tell he smiled. I smiled too, remembering the interesting info I got about him from Maddie and Darius. He likes me.

Rue and Jim would make a cute couple.

So would me and Rory.

A/N: Keep voting for homecoming royalty!!!!!!!!!!! Homecoming is going to be split into at least three chapters, probably more, and I need the results soon! Kings:Cato, Peeta, Gale, Darius, Thresh and Queens: Any guest stars in high school, Katniss, me (Montey), Madge, and Foxface. Any other people I missed can probably be voted for too!
thnx~Montey