[18] Welcome to the Best Night of Your Life

Katniss's Point of View

The stinky high school gym has had a makeover, that's for sure. As we walk in, the lights are dimmed and a few white lights create a almost icy effect. Music booms from the speakers, some random pop tune playing as a mass of people danced to it. A few people lingered around the punch bowl, and I could've sworn I saw someone pouring something into it, I make a wise decision to stay away from the punch tonight.

Peeta and I stood at the edge of the dance floor, Madge and Marvel standing with us. Madge was trying to get Marvel to dance, but he just looked bored. Peeta and I chatted, I explained I wasn't huge on the whole 'dancing' thing but Peeta made me promise to dance at some point tonight.

"Katniss!!! Peeta!!" I heard someone squeal from behind me. I turned just in time for me to see Jessica drag a guy towards us. "Oh my gosh Kat, you look awesome!" She gushed.

"Thanks, you look really pretty too!" I said, though the words sounded unnatural coming from me. But she did look pretty, with her blond hair going in light flowy curls down her back and a pink flower tucked into her hair. Her dress was amazing as well, the top part hugged her body but puffed out at the skirt like someone had cut off a ballgown at her mid thigh. Jewel accents were all over the top of the pink dress, and it was overall stunning.

"This is my date, Trevor." She introduced her date, the guy who she'd dragged over. I smiled as I realized he wore a tux with a pink tie, undoubtedly to go with Jess's dress.

"Hey Trev," Peeta waved at the guy, who smiled back. I guess they're friends.

"Why aren't you two dancing?!" Jess asked as if we'd just committed murder instead of not dancing.

"Cause I don't have your dancing skills." I laughed.

"Oh come on, it's a school dance!" Jess chuckled. "You don't actually have to know how to dance to dance at a dance."

I blinked at her. "What?"

"Ugh, never mind." She laughed, then seemed to remember something. "Oh yea, you'll never guess what I heard!" We looked at her expectantly. "You two were named to be in the running for homecoming queen/king!"

"Wait, really?" Peeta seemed surprised. I had no idea what a 'homecoming queen/king' was so I just blinked at her.

She nodded and laughed before dragging Trevor onto the dance floor, not before Trev could say a quick "Later bro," to Peeta.

"Katnisssss!" My head whipped around to see Avery coming towards me. She wore a long silver dress with straps, and her black hair was straight as always. She wore heels that weren't a mile high like every other girls', and silver mascara brought out the gray in her bluish gray eyes. Pink lipstick finished off the look.

"Averyyyy!" I responded in the same voice she had used. I noticed she was date-less, but knowing Avery it's probably because she wanted to come alone.

"You guys look great!" Avery smiled.

"Thanks, you do too!" I said.

"Peeta, you look pretty too!" Avery joked, Peeta stuck his tongue out at her.

"So I heard what was happening with Gale, is that true?" Avery asked, making sure Madge wasn't around to hear. I nodded. "I have to admit I never really thought of Gale as the romantic type, always thought he was more of the 'Let's go eat raw squirrels!' type."

The weirdest picture popped into my mind of Gale in front of a plate with a dead squirrel on it, a bib tucked into his shirt and a fork and knife in his hands. I laughed out loud (AN: She lol'd! X])

"Speaking of which, where is Gale?" Peeta asked, looking around the crowded gym as if he actually expected to find them in the mess of people.

"Probably gettin' his girl!" Avery said in a sassy voice.

The lights dimmed then, and the music stopped. Everyone turned towards the stage expectantly. The DJ smiled widely as he turned on a slow song. I blushed and looked up at Peeta, who was already offering me his hand. I smiled and accepted his hand.

Who knew Peeta was such a good dancer?

A/N: PEOPLE YOU NEED TO VOTE FOR HOMECOMING QUEEN/KING! Like really, I only have 6 votes for queen and five for king, and most people voted for both queen+king, so really only 6 people have voted. Please more people vote! As far as I know more than 6 people read each chapter, so please please vote.
Also I'm still missing one person's dress request. You know who you are 0.o