Pt. 78: The Departure

A/N: here we are! The last chapter! Been a bit but I really tried my hardest to tie things up in this one. I hope you like it!

The Soundtrack So Far: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0XFn64nglHcWqg4R8809Gg?si=wq_JXcHbTUGneuV38NVDkw

You Look So Good In Blue: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3Q0fUqZM9G5XcefGCh30uo?si=KFOt-B1GT7SPCNEp6Zz9yQ

----------

Hour by hour, people trickled out the door, throwing exhausted goodbyes to their friends who stayed for one or two more songs. The tempos got slower, and so did the dancing. The last call for drinks was announced, but it wasn't like anyone was picking up a drink anymore—those who were had already left or been carried out long ago.

Wanda swayed limply against Vision with her cheek pressed against his broad chest. She had been dozing off for a while now, losing her step and stumbling only to spring back up and hold onto Vision with any ounce of strength she could muster. Vision never tired of it. He was physically incapable of getting tired, so he happily carried on supporting his darling Wanda.

But more and more, Wanda slipped down his body, her knees and grasp on him growing weaker by the minute. Once her cheek had slid to his abdomen, Vision grasped her upper arms and held her still.

"Darling, I believe we should go now," he said gently. Wanda moaned tiredly and shook her head. "Yes, we should. Our bed is much more comfortable."

"Mm," she groaned but ultimately conceded. "Alright, but you have to carry me. My feet hurt."

He smiled lovingly and gently guided her up. "As you wish."

Wanda's eyes glazed over with sleep as Vision pulled her arm around his neck. He scooped her up effortlessly, arm tucked under her knees, and glided across the dance floor to the exit. On the way, he passed by Loki and Luna, still intertwined in a slow dance. He sent the pair a farewell for the night, and Wanda opened her eyes just in time to reach for Luna. Luna squeezed her hand for their own silent goodbye, and she and Loki watched after the couple until they were through the door and out of sight.

"Gee," Luna said as she looked around the sparse room. "Have we really been here that long? Doesn't feel like it." She pulled out her phone and gasped at the clock. "It's almost three in the morning?!" She flipped the phone around to show Loki.

"Hm, so it is," he responded.

"Wow," Luna slipped her phone into her pocket, "time does fly when you're having fun."

Loki chuckled. "Tonight was fun, wasn't it?"

"Yeah," Luna said, smiling back, and peered around the room. "But I think it's time for us to go. Save us the embarrassment of getting kicked out, you know?"

"Yes. Right you are." Loki situated himself to the side and stuck an elbow out. "Shall we?"

Luna slid a hand the bend and squeezed his bicep with the other, and off they went. Looking around, they truly were the last of their friends to leave, and there was no one else to say goodbye to or wake from an alcohol-induced nap. They'd all carried each other out long ago with the promise of an early morning.

The street was bare and quiet, the sky dark in the wee hours. The pair moseyed down the road in no real hurry for anything. They both desperately needed a hot shower and change of clothes, but for now, a slow walk was fast enough.

"How are you feeling?" Loki asked.

"A little tired, but ok." Luna looked up at him. "Why? You want to carry me too?" Loki opened his mouth and closed it again. He felt caught, and Luna grinned. "You can if you feel strong enough."