Pt. 21: Royals Don't Cook

Loki opened and closed the door for Luna, seeing as both of her hands were taken up with bags from the grocery store and aquarium gift shop. No matter how he offered his assistance, she insisted on carrying them all by herself. Carefully placing everything on the ground, she pulled her shoes off, glancing back to make sure Loki locked the door. Once he did, she picked up her gift bag and went to her room to change, leaving Loki to do the same.

After taking his boots off, he pulled off the new hoodie Luna demanded he get because 'there's one in your size, you need it, and it can commemorate your first modern Earth outing.' He didn't need it. He was a Frost Giant. He could be in Antarctica and still feel comfortable in his regular daily clothes. But it was comfortable and buying it pleased her. Using money from Stark was odd, but having something to call his own felt nice.

After changing to a long-sleeved shirt and dark leggings, Luna opened up her gift bag. She wasn't one to hold out on treating herself when she could afford it, especially on her birthday. Sat on her bed, she admired her new purchases: a moon jellyfish necklace and a jellyfish nightlight. Of course, she had a need for neither of these things, but the point of a treat wasn't about needing something. Thinking of the groceries, she placed the nightlight on her bedside table and hung the necklace as she left her room.

Loki was how Luna expected to find him: clothes changed, hair down, sitting at the counter, sipping a glass of water, and perusing the contents of the grocery bags. Luna walked on as casually as always, rounding him quickly and pulling the rest of the things out. Loki had already retrieved his new hair and skincare products and lined them up beside him in order of ascending size.

Luna started on the refrigerated items first.

"Ok, so, for dinner, I have something planned that you may have never had before." She was a little apprehensive. Loki could tell.

"There seem to be no end to firsts with you."

She smiled at his semi-sweet words and took the box of tamarind from him. "Maybe for you. It's a very cultural dish, so I must warn you."

"Warn me about what? Are you actually going to poison me this time?" He smirked, lightly teasing her.

"No, no. It's just," Luna paused, wondering if it was worth explaining. "Some people get scared when confronted with new things from another culture, and not the good kind of scared."

Loki snickered. "You know I don't scare easy."

"Yeah, but still." Luna looked down and rubbed her left hand; an action not going unnoticed by her intimidating companion.

She wasn't looking for his permission. He knew she was the master of her household and he was the lucky guest residing in it.

He silently observed her before speaking. "Go ahead and make it." Snapping her head up, she caught his gaze. "As a god, I give you my word that I will not be frightened in the slightest."

She gave him a timid smile and answered with a small "Ok."

No, she didn't need his permission. Only some reassurance and respect.

Loki stayed where he was and watched Luna set up. He's seen the pans and bowls many times before, but some of the spices she brought down were new. She opened the jars and took slight whiffs of the contents. Curious.

Grabbing a spice grinder from a cupboard, she looked back at him. "What were some traditional dishes on Asgard, if any?"

"Large roasts were very popular. They were usually made to flaunt the talent and strength of the hunter."

"Those sound nice. Do you remember how they were prepared?"

Loki was taken aback. Not a question he thought he'd have to answer in his life.