Pt. 12: The First of Halloween

Sundays were dull, to say the least. Both before Loki's arrival and afterward. It was reserved for cleaning, relaxing, and trying not to think about the gradual collapse of society.

Vacuuming happened to be the big ticket item of the day. Loki lay on the couch, a new story in hand, utterly unbothered by the activity of his companion. He had long since grown accustomed to maids busying about his room at any hour of the day, whether or not he was occupying it.

Soon enough, the boisterous machine ceased its commotion. Luna stretched her back and grabbed Loki's empty mug off the coffee table. The whistle of the tea kettle notified Loki to her intentions. She brought it back to him, refilled with the jasmine tea he had served himself earlier. She carried one as well, heading to the armchair by the wall and setting it on the side table there. She left momentarily and returned with a few new things. Loki peered at her over the top of his book. He hadn't seen those items before during his adventures in her room.

Luna took her seat in the armchair, getting as comfortable as she could. Being courteous to Loki's presence, she put her headphones on to listen to her music. No need to disturb him further. From the pouch at her side, she pulled out a pencil and eraser and opened the book in her lap to the most recently used page. From her phone, she selected the picture she was working with and started her music.

In this space she created, she was safe. Safe from judgment, bad memories, negativity, pain. The beautiful face on the page helped a lot. Swim Deep's "Honey" filled her heart with sunshine and set the pace for the project in front of her. Luna's pencil moved gently over the surface, her eyes glancing from the image on her phone to the one on the paper, erasing botched lines as needed. The forms being beckoned onto the page looked more and more real with each pencil stroke. It inched closer and closer to being finished.

Loki had been eyeing Luna on and off for the past several minutes. The headphones were new. She never used those around him before. She never shied away from playing her music out loud for him to hear so why now? And the book she was writing in. What did she use it for? Loki had an idea but no way to prove it other than to look.

He took a bold step and walked up to her. Her eyes remained downcast. She hadn't noticed him yet. He peered at the upside-down page and what he saw confirmed his hunch. She was indeed drawing something, or rather, someone. It was no one he recognized off the top of his head. The longer he looked, the more he racked his brain for answers. His train of thought was interrupted when the book was covered, obscuring his view. Luna had finally noticed him. Her slightly offended expression was evidence enough. She removed her headphones and hugged the book to her chest.

"What are you doing?" Loki asked. He already knew, but he wanted to see what she would say.

"Refining a sketch, and no, you may not look at it. It's still a work in progress."

"Who said I wanted to look?"

"You like to look at everything. Why would this be any different?"

"Who are you drawing?" Luna paused before answering.

"Nobody." Lies.

"It can't be nobody if you're drawing them."

"Well, it is. I just think they have a nice face." Her reply did little to convince Loki. He knew a bad lie when he heard one. He didn't pry any further, pretending to accept her response. "Weren't you doing some reading?"

"Yes, I was." Loki slowly walked back to his original spot, Luna's eyes trained on him. He found it adorable how it looked as if she was trying to send daggers in his direction with only her gaze. If looks could kill, hers may sting a little.