Pt. 44: Forged In Fire

A/N: Here, we have another regular long boi. I'm gonna throw in another *maybe* that you will cry in this one. A little tear, probably. Because I did.

----------

The two unlikely friends stood embracing each other, the only sound being Luna's gasps as she gradually calmed down. Loki didn't say another word, and neither did she. Nothing could be said. They weren't good with emotions or properly expressing them. Whenever they felt something, they preferred to do so in private. But here and now, in front of someone else, they moved far outside the boundaries of their comfort zones. They were in uncharted territory, and it was nothing they had ever prepared for.

Eventually, Luna's tears ceased, and her breathing returned to normal. Letting the last of them dry on her lashes, she kept her face averted from Loki's line of sight. She was embarrassed, as anyone would be. She felt a sneeze tickle her nose and pulled away from him to stifle it. In doing so, she spotted the darkened wet patch on his shirt.

"Sorry," she sniffled, gesturing to it. Loki looked down and huffed.

"Don't be. It'll dry." It truly wasn't a big deal. Loki fleetingly considered changing his shirt, but he imagined the action would make her feel worse. He needed to soothe and lift her spirits, not do the opposite.

He guided her to the couch and had her sit her down. Luna grabbed the tissue box from the side table and used them to tidy up her appearance. Loki stayed silent beside her, using one hand to rub the other. His mind burned and stirred with a thousand questions, but he remained apprehensive. Agitating her now wouldn't prove fruitful in his efforts to know her better. And he would be a hypocrite to investigate her, all the while keeping his comparable issues buried deep down. No, he'd return the favor and allow her to come to him.

The silence hung heavy between them, but he didn't want to fill it with his own voice or force her to speak. Tentatively, Loki grabbed the television remote from where he had set it down earlier and held it towards her.

"Do you mind?" he asked. Luna shook her head, keeping her gaze directed to the floor.

Loki turned the screen on and browsed the options for what was on. As usual, he had been engrossed in the news channel before Luna came home, but now, he was sure it was the last thing she would want to listen to. On a movie channel further down the list, he recognized a title; 'Hellboy.' He had seen it twice before and liked it a fair amount. It was a beautiful story with captivating, well-rounded characters. He favored the ragtag team much more than the Avengers. It would serve them well to take a few notes on the misfits' dynamic.

From his periphery, he spotted Luna lift her head and watch the scenes before her. She didn't appear put off by it. Loki considered it another victory for the day. She adjusted her glasses and relaxed onto the cushy back of the couch, though her body remained tense.

Close to dusk, she saw fit to be the first to speak.

"Aren't you going to ask?" Her voice had a bite to it.

"Ask what?"

She fiddled her hands in her lap. "About why I do it?"

Loki rolled his shoulders. "I have since learned my lesson in asking unwanted, aggravating questions."

"But you want to know, don't you?" He felt like saying no, but she would be able to tell he was lying. And he was afraid to say yes. "I'll tell you about mine if you tell me about yours."

His stomach dropped a little, and he gulped nervously. "Which ones?"

Luna tapped his forearm. "These ones." The tension in his shoulders released. "Quid pro quo, Clarice. If you will."