Pt. 48: First Day Out

A/N: What's up, YouTube?! Here's me, ya boi, back with another chapter! Do y'all know anyone else who's this inconsistent with posting? You probably do XP and I'm the ripe old age of 24 today! Wow! My second birthday while writing this story. Amazing how time works, right?

----------

It was hard for them to fall asleep. The room held an unfamiliar smell, the sheets felt a tad itchy, and they each shared the bed with someone they weren't supposed to be with. Backs turned to each other, Luna and Loki pretended to be asleep to fool the other into a false sense of security. It didn't work. Luna lay awake for nearly an hour after getting under the covers, and Loki took another half an hour after she drifted off. It was a short, dreamless sleep for him, and he preferred those over all others. He rarely remembered his good dreams.

Loki awoke the next morning to bright rays of sun streaming through the gaps in the blackout curtains. He'd turned in his sleep, having felt innately more comfortable on his left side than on his right. A comforting warmth greeted his right hand as he slowly drifted into consciousness. He opened one eye, then the other, and blinked them into clarity. His hand had found its way to Luna's waist and rested in the dip like it was meant to be there.

Slow as he could, Loki lifted finger after finger. Lastly, his palm followed, and Luna remained still. He slid away from her and rested his head back on his own pillow. Feeling drowsy once more, he lingered his sights on a distinctive wayward curl on the back of Luna's bedhead and drifted back to sleep.

Two hours passed for him to open his eyes again. Loki found the spot next to him cold and empty – save for a plush green frog – and the air smelling of toast and fresh coffee. Sweeping his hair out of his eyes, he pushed back the covers and followed the aroma to the kitchenette. He discovered Luna standing by the counter, having a breakfast of peanut butter on toast and a cup of coffee. He cleared his throat and noisily shuffled his feet as he neared her in the hopes he wouldn't startle her.

"Oh, hi! Good morning," Luna said, tidying her face with a napkin. "How did you sleep?"

Loki rubbed the back of his neck. "Quite well, actually. Feels good to sleep on a real bed."

"Yeah, I bet. And, I guess, uh, thanks for keeping to your side." She took the last bite of her toast.

Loki waved a hand. "Oh, no need for a 'thank you.' It's just common courtesy."

"Still, it was nice. Coffee?" Luna offered.

"Yes, please," Loki accepted. He felt parched from his long sleep. Luna grabbed a mug from the cupboard, filled it, and handed it to him.

Luna took a sip from hers and hummed. "Ok, so, for today, I thought it would be nice to show you a few of the sights downtown. You know, museums and monuments and stuff like that."

"Really?" Loki blew on the top of his coffee and took a sip. "What kinds?"

Luna tapped a finger against her cup. "I was thinking the Air and Space Museum. There's a specific exhibit I wanted to see. I was going to take you there anyway, but I guess we can start there."

Loki smirked, caressing the warm ceramic. "Sounds like a plan."

"Great," Luna beamed. She pointed to his coffee. "Want some toast with that?"

"Need you even ask?"

She smiled wide as she placed two slices in the toaster. "Well, alrighty then."

--------------------

From the underground station, Loki emerged and stepped onto the escalator. Luna followed close behind, enjoying the sights and sounds and the tasteful memories they brought back to her. But Loki looked all too agitated.