1. Devils

SARAI'S POV:

My hands shook as Carolina, the oldest maid at the palace, braided my calf-length hair into two parts. I trusted her as much as I could and tried to get used to her motherly touch but my mind won't comply.

'what is she is with those people?', 'what if she is a monster too?' so many questions ran through my mind making me feel dizzy.

"Sarai! What are you dreaming about?", Caroline asked as she gently sat me at my usual place near the window. She doesn't have to do that. My blindness has made me learn everything about my room and this palace. I know every corner, every single detail of this room. I smiled in melancholy as this is what I've done in all the 19 years of my living.

"Child..you need to eat.", She spoke again and I hummed trying to remove the feeling of her hand on my head. I don't like it. Tears burned at the back of my eyes and I released a sigh when she removed her hand.

"I'm bringing food for you, hm? Sit here, please.", She cooed as if talking to a three-year-old. Getting up from the soft place, I took 40 steps making sure that I didn't bump into anything. Once I felt the cloudy bed, I removed my dress to lay on it. The cold sheets of the bed met my naked back and I closed my eyes.
I wish when I open my eyes, something would change but all I see is darkness. I don't even understand why do I close my eyes? My life is in permanent darkness.
A sudden sound at the door left me still in the bed.

"Princess.", It was my father, Charles Harold, the coldest ruler. I remember finding room in his arms when I was little. He was always so warm and felt so safe. But now all I see in him is a man with fake power, a man who couldn't protect his blind daughter in his own place.

I pressed my face into the sheets, not wanting to hear from him. Liars, they all are big liars.

"I know you are awake.", His voice turned stern but I didn't move. This voice stopped working on me a long time ago.

"Father, let her sleep.", My oldest brother, James spoke as he entered the room. His steps were always the loudest and I could hear them clearly even from the end of the hallway.

"She isn't sleeping, James. She has been doing this to us for the past 6 years.", Father argued as his voice turned from stern to helpless. 'Six years of torture that you made me go through.', I wanted to shout so loud.

"Sarai.", James cooed patting the bed lightly to let me know that he was going to sit on it.

My body turned rigid as the bed dipped under his weight and fresh tears started escaping my eyes.

"My sweet little sister.", I felt his hand over my shoulder even before he touched it and I screamed. Cowering away from his touch, I held the blanket tighter around me. The mere thought of anyone's touch scared me to my core.

"Shh..shh.. I'm sorry..shh..it's okay..I'm going Sarai..father is going too.", He begged in a soft voice soothing me but all I did was bury myself deep inside the blanket. Nothing soothes me anymore. Their sweet fake words did nothing for me. They can't give me my lost dignity and my light back.
The door to my room closed and I bit my hand to stop the loud cry from leaving my mouth. My heart felt as if it was about to jump out any second and my breathing was uneven.

"Father, there are other matters. The devils army is here.", I heard James saying this to father before they were out of my hearing. But I didn't have time to think about it as my body was exhausted.

My eyes soon shut on their own as my mind started playing the old record of nightmares. I prayed one last time to God to let me be at peace and to end this miserable life of mine.