6. Dumb

SARAI'S POV:

I was tired was all I could think with my back pressed into the soft feathery mattress was that. My limbs were aching and I could feel my eyes hurting. I've been crying for years and yet my brain hasn't learnt to stop with the pain. It should be accustomed to it.

Sometimes I wish that I could see so that whenever I opened my eyes, I won't see this endless pit of darkness. Slowly my brain started working and the memories of those men filled my mind. My arm was hurting where one of them had grabbed me. Why are all the men so big and cruel? I never did anything to them then why am I being punished?

"Sarai!", Caroline's soft and gentle voice had me jumping up. My nerves were going crazy and this was just the start of the day. I could guess the time by the sounds of the chirping birds and people jogging. With my eyesight never been there, I've relied on my ears the most. But that day even they had failed me with the loud music. A shiver passed through my body as the door opened with a swish sound.

Caroline's light footsteps moved away from the bed as she greeted the man.

"Good morning sir. Thank you so much for bringing me here with Sarai. I'll al-"

"Sh! I hate to talk in the morning.", A gruff voice replied and I could feel myself getting scared. The deepness in the man's voice was enough to start ringing bells in my head. The same thought of running away or killing myself played like a broken tape recorder in my head.

"Sarai, good morning. I need you to freshen up and get dressed and reach down with Caroline to the dining area in half an hour.", The man ignored my flinch and gasp of terror as he walked towards me and kept ordering.

"Is that clear?", He asked making my anxiety increase. I twisted the sheets in my hands not replying.

"Sarai! Is that clear?", His voice became stern and I cried accidentally hitting my head on the headboard.

"Shit! Is it hurting?", He asked and I felt the air passing as he touched the back of my head. I couldn't help but gasp at the suddenness of his actions. The terror slowly filled me and I nodded pathetically and then shook my head remembering his question.

"I can't understand you, Sarai. I need you to either speak or silently come down. You don't want all of us to crowd your room, do you?", He asked and I shook my head in reply. I don't want that. I don't want them to corner me in this room where I can't run anywhere.

"Good choice, angel. Now, go get ready, you only have 25 minutes.", He said pulling up his knee out of my bed. His hand which was on my head vanished and I wondered why I didn't feel scared of it. I had completely forgotten about it after he asked me that question.

"Caroline.", He said and Caroline replied 'sure' before coming towards me. The door closed with a very light thud and I finally breathed properly.

"You need to get ready quickly Sarai. They will not hurt you.", She said, although her own voice didn't have any confidence. All people are the same Caroline, all men are the same too. They all hurt weak people and I'm the weakest.

I grimly nodded and put my feet down slowly, not wanting to fall down.

"I'm going to take you to the bathroom, okay?", She asked making me hmm lightly. I prepared myself for her touch and as soon as it happened, I flinched again. It doesn't matter how many times I prepare myself for this, I still flinch.

She soothed me with her words and took me to the bathroom. She told me about things, which color they were and everything. According to the description, the bathroom seems to be as big as my room back at my..not my home...just a place where I lived.